1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a recipe using Promo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Looking for a 1 oz recipe using Promo. I have the following components available. Remington hulls, Win 209 & CCI 209 primers, #8 & #81/2 magnum shot, considering using Promo, have been using Clays. Need recipe for singles & 23 yd handicap.

Lou

2. yenko

yenko TS Member

use same loading data as red dot,i use 19 grains aa wad 11/8 shot aa hull win primer .

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I've been having good luck with 16.5 gr. promo a 1 oz wad (pink Winchester) and a cheddite primer. Very soft and will do a number on a target. Handicap yardage I've been using 1 1/8 with more like yenko's suggestion. You can use any appropriate Red Dot data.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

My favorite is 18.0 gr PROMO, Green Duster wad, 1 oz mag shot, and an STS primer. Either of the two primers you mention will work just fine as well.

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Singles- 18gr Promo pushing 7/8oz of #8 1/2 w/CB4100 wad.
    H-cap- 18.7gr Promo pushing 1oz HARD #8s w/DR-TGT12 wad.

Works For Me!

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Go to Alliant's reloading data on their website. Any reasonable Red Dot data could be used for Promo. Just be sure to weigh your powder drops, since the densities of the two powders is not usually the same and they will require a different bushing or setting to get the proper weights. Different lots of Promo can vary widely as well. This next url will take you to their new 2008 reloading catalog, which has loading data for Promo and Red Dot, among others.

http://glarp.atk.com/2008/2008_Catalogs/AlliantPowderCatalog.pdf

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Well, you have just asked about my favorite powder. I had a thread on here awhile ago about this load. 18.0 grains Promo, any primer, Downrange XL-1 wad, and #8 shot. Produces 1200-1210fps, and crushes targets. This load with Promo and Downrange XL-1 wad produces great patterns!

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

8. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

I use AA hulls with a "nothing but dust" green duster wad, and a federal 209 primer, 1oz of shot, 18 grains of promo, use this back to the 24 yard line.

9. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've been using AAs with 18.5 promo, 1oz #8, Claybuster 1100-12 (WAA12LS copy) and Win 209.

I'm trying to keep them about 1235 for HDCP as we use Nitro's in registered shoots. HOnestly the recoil is not bad. If you want them a little softer I am sure you could cut back to 18.0 or even less as stated above.

The last 1000 or so I loaded with Wolf 209 Primers from Recob's. Save a few bucks you'll not see a difference.

It's not the cleanest powder in the world, but we clean the guns everytime we shoot so who cares.

I'm gonna buy a couple bags of 8.5's and make up some 16 yard loads at 17.7 Promo and see how that works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

promo green duster wad 1 oz data