1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a place to hunt doves- PA, OH or ?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by skeet_man, Aug 1, 2016.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've never been dove hunting before, but keep seeing posts on facebook about people having a blast doing it, so i'd like to give it a go. May be too late this year, but I could always plan on next year.

Just picked up an Ithaca 37 20ga that ought to be just the ticket (weighed it today, just a hair under 6.5lb).

NY doesn't have a dove season (not that I've ever seen more than a handful at once here anyways), so PA and OH would be my next closest options.

Any suggestions? I'm down for doing something this year if everything fell into place, but am in no rush either.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Are you coming to the World Skeet shoot this year?

Ken

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

4. DONNE

DONNE Active Member

Ever consider Argentina?
    I hear the dove shooting there is fabulous, not to mention the food!

Just joking. Could be a "bucket list" entry.

5. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Ohio has doves for about the first two days of season, then if you don't have private land its not really worth it. And whenever we get our first frost we usually lose all the birds, public and private.

6. Skeetshooter6114

Skeetshooter6114 Member

I do a decent amount of dove hunting in western part about 20 min from Ohio line and iv3 always had success during the season. Some days might be slower than others but all in all good luck.

7. MackC85

MackC85 Active Member

Maybe a bit out of your way, but Opening Day of Doves on the Upper Eastern Shore of MD Maryland $200 for a round of Sporting Clays, Buffet Lunch, and afternoon of Dove Hunting:

www.schradersoutdoors.com/hunting/dove/

DOVE HUNTING

$125.00/person/day, except for 1st day (Sept. 1)
    $200.00/person on Sept. 1 includes buffet lunch and round of 50 Sporting Clays.
    *1st Season: Sept. 1 – Oct. 8 (hunting begins at noon)
    *2nd Season: Oct. 21 – Nov. 19
    *3rd Season: Dec. 17 – Jan. 7

Limit: 15

FYI - Schrader's is one of my favorite places to shoot. Great Facilities, Great People, Great Ranges.

8. Matt D

Matt D Member

Can't wait till tomorrow afternoon for our first shoot of the year. Typically we have pretty good shooting here in north central Ohio but also have the benefit of lots of private ground and conducive farming practices that tend to draw birds in. Dove hunting is one of the funnest things we do each fall.

9. Jethro15

Jethro15 Active Member

We are seeing high numbers in western Pa. I've got a rail yard with major grain spillage on one side of the river, and gravel pits on the other side. Gonna be a good one I hope.

10. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

Don't try KY right now, season open 6 days and no shoots that I am aware of.
    Everything too green, no wheat sowed yet, no silage cut yet, no sunflowers mowed yet.
    A real bummer so far.

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Buy a farm, turn it into some conservation program, plant it for doves, suck up the cost.

12. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

Too bad you can't get down to central texas. Fantastic dove hunting.