1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a "new" gun!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sherry2310, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherry2310

sherry2310 TS Member

I'm on a budget of 4G for a new gun. Haven't been shooting long and am now
    using a rem 1100 w/syn stock. Nice gun. low recoil, hits the mark. I would like something with a high rib. A BT99 with an aftermarket high rib has been suggested. Any other ideas? Don't know if I will get into doubles so don't know if it's worth it to buy a combo gun. Ideas!? Thanks!

2. 548

548 Guest

Looking for a

I have a very nice Browning XT with adjustable soft top comb and R.A.D. Recoil system. If you want to have the opportunity to shoot doubles as well as singles a O/U would do th trick. $1900 would by the XT. Jeff

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Looking for a

JEG 687 Combo, might have to go slightly used for your budget.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Looking for a

Don't buy anything, untill you try as many guns at all the ranges you go. You'll know which one to buy when you try the right one for you. Always use new factory ammo in guns that you borrow. Most shooters love to let you try their gun if you ask. Good Luck in your Search/Journey. break em all Jeff

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Looking for a

If you like a auto Guerini/Fabarm has a very nice gun.

fabarm xlr5 velocity

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2012/05/fabarm-xlr5-velocity-handsome-italian-made-sporting-clays-shotgun

http://randywakeman.com/FabarmUSAXLR5VelocityComingSoon.htm

6. Fred Neal

Fred Neal Member

Looking for a

You want a high rib gun for Trap. Here is one for you
    Fred
    [​IMG]

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Looking for a

A Krieghoff KS 5 special or KX 5 is a significant upgrade and will surprise you how well it will shoot for you. Check them out. (well within your price range.)

JMAC

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Looking for a

Does a Beretta Combo on a 682 frame make some sense? Does a 391 from Coles over in Maine make sense? Two worth looking into for the price described. Probably find an MX-15 used in that price range. Test shoot some!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Looking for a

Shoot it before you buy it. HMB

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Looking for a

Since you are a newer shooter with a $4K budget, and a high-rib gun is your goal, consider this:

Browning's BT-100 can still be found in fantastic condition for $1500-1600 and the glossy version is arguably the most serious trap gun per dollar available. I say "serious trap gun" because it's incredibly durable if taken care of, plus it has a drop-out trigger which is adjustbale for LOP, pull weight and eject/extract. This purchase would leave you $2400 for a clinic with Leo or Harlan plus 35-40 flats of shells. That's the best use of a newer shooter's $4K budget that I can imagine.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

-Gary

11. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Looking for a

If you can "hit the mark" . Why buy a different gun if yours is shooting where you are looking and breaking targets now? High rib , low rib, no rib....breaking the target is what matters here. Larry Lockhart

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Looking for a

It might be a good idea to get another 1100. One set up with a high rib and adjustable comb stock. That way you will have a back up gun for spare parts. Usually you can tell if a gun is user friendly after one or two rounds of trap. Try to find a nice used one, that way you can get to shoot it before you decide whether to buy it. HMB

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Looking for a

Shootlow, that is the first time you've been right about me on this forum. lol

Congratulations! ;-)

Even though I can't shoot shoot'em good, I still think I can.

But my scores give me away.

Hauxfan!

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Looking for a

There is also the possibility of a BT-99 plus in good shape for around $1600 or less. You will still have the rest of the $ to do what GW22 suggests. Mike.

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Looking for a

If it were me I would either look for a good used TM1 or TMX, Browning XT or BT99. Then have the gun fitted to you and in the case of the Perazzis have them brought up to "Like New" shape by Guamino (sp) in New York. Then spend the balance on either shells or components. But in either case make sure by shooting other's guns that either are what works for you. Who knows, you might find that something not even mentioned here will work well for you. I guess I'm biased by those two mfgrs. but the Italian and Brownings seem to work well for me.

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Looking for a

If it were me, I would buy whatever gun made my heart go pitter-patter. Don't listen to the people that say spend your money elsewhere! Buy the gun that you want. It is only money and you only go around once.

BTW, I would seriously consider the TMX or TM1 if you want a single barrel trap gun. Also a Remington 90T. Joel Etchen combo if you want a combo gun.

17. redhawk

redhawk Member

Looking for a

I have got a Remington 90T HPAR in excellent cond.,release (by Doug Braker)and/or pull,extra custom rollover comb (right hand),comes in Warwick maroon fabric case.Beautiful wood,no porting original bore .040".$3000.00 shipped

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Looking for a

Gorgeous BT-100 32" like new available!!

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Looking for a

Depending on whom you speak with, most top shooters recommend shooting in the range of 5,000 to 6,000 rounds to go from the honeymoon to a full on relationship with a new gun. The assumption is the gun has been fitted to you and will need only a slight amount of tuning to dial it in.

If trap doubles is going to part of your game, then a combo makes sense and Browning, Beretta combos can fill your requirements in projected price range.
    I don't know of any Perazzi's or Guerini's used or otherwise that fall into you $4,000 budget.

If your looking to shoot more all around like sporting, five stand and skeet, then an auto may be a better way to go. Beretta's and the new Fabarm is where I would look first as they offer the rib requirements you seek. Fabarm would be my choice because they have all the necessary adjustments to dial in the gun.

As most have said, try before you buy. Don't make judgement on one box of sheels.

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

90t trap gun

hi rib trap guns
high dollar trap guns
high rib trap gun combos

high rib trap guns

high ribs for shotguns
trap guns

trap shooting guns