1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Model 12 Book

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MW58, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MW58

MW58 Member

Does anybody have the book "The Greatest Hammerless Repeating Shotgun Ever Built-The Model 12 1912-1964" by Dave Riffle? I'm looking to see who engraved my Model 12. I was told that this book contains engravers names and the serial numbers of the guns that they engraved. If I were to give you the serial number of my Model 12, could you tell me who engraved it?

2. Hardcsh

Hardcsh Member

I have the book, however it doesn't cross reference serial number with engraved guns. Google Dave Riffle and give him a call.

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The book has Kusmit engraved guns by number , PM me the serial and I will look it up. Jeff

4. butch32

butch32 Member

Riffles book contains Nick Kusmits personal ledger of all the pre-64 model 12's he did including the engraving pattern number.. Butch

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Sorry, no Ulrich information in the Riffle book. There is some Kusmit information.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

My bad memory,corrected.
    Hello Mike, your gun was made in 1961. The Riffle book shows only Nick Kusmit's serial number records and yours is not in there.There were other engravers working at the time. Most all records were lost in a fire.This list was the personal record from Mr.Kusmit. Pauline Murrel,the last living Winchester engraver is the one to authenticate your gun.She has a very nice website.The 12-2 pattern was the most engraved pattern next to the 12-5.Good luck, Jeff

7. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Sometimes a competent gunsmith or engraver can find the initials of the original engraver, if the put them on the gun.

Some did, others didn't.

Worth a try.

8. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

Pauline is the only one I would use to authenticate engraving. She has saved me a fortune in buying guns. Aso, just because your number isnt in he book does not mean it wasnt engraved by the kusmits. I have a Nick Kusmit model 12 that Pauline ID for me and the number is not listed in the book.
    The best money you can spend is by buying a couple of good winchester books on engraving and study the pictures and information

-John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.