1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Katana sword

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by 635 G, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Starting my search for a real first class Japanese sword. Looking for any info on swords & or sources.

Phil Berkowitz

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

I know a guy that bought a mediocre one (by his standards) and it set him back 20K. I don't know what a good one would run.

ss

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have Samari and an officers sword brought back from Japan by my Father in law. How do you determine the value??

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

Just watch the Kill Bill series I,II and III with Uma Thurman, lol

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Rick, It was my understanding that alot of Japaneze officers sent their real swords home when they realized the end was near. Many bought generic swords to fill their sheaths. Does any one know if this was true?

Shannon, I saw it. To me that would be a terrible way to meet my end.

6. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

0   0   0

hatori hanzo, lol

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

0   0   0

Swords are like artwork, it depends on the maker. What do you want this sword for? Looks or a true hand hammered and folded blade?

A real high quality, hand made Katana can take a year or more to make. Even so, you can get a real sword that is not as perfect, but still performs just as well for around $1K.

It's kind of like a Krieghoff vs a Browning. Both are good guns, but one is just a little nicer and it shows in the price.

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

0   0   0

At one time after the war there were more Jap. swords here than in Japan because of so many soilders sending them home..

9. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

0   0   0

The Cold Steel company makes a variety of very good quality swords at different price levels depending on the quality you want to pay for. Check out their website. I bought a short tanto from them and am very satisfied with it. Neil

10. Loyac

Loyac Member

0   0   0

Most of the blades on the higher end COLD STEEL knives are made in Japan...
    This is the one I have. The Outdoorsman.

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Start here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/index.php?

OT, check out Busse Knives.

[​IMG]

12. MR.ohiogal

MR.ohiogal TS Member

0   0   0

I believe Mr. Phil Hartsfield,, or feld,,, still makes very, very high quality Japanese swords, as fancy or as plain as you would wish. I believe it was one of his swords that passed the " Helmet Test " in other words it was strong and sharp enough to penetrate said helmet. Not a common occurence for modern makers. The Japanese sword is a true example of working art, in my opinion. Good luck on your search.

Jeff

13. Mapper

Mapper Member

0   0   0

There used to be a guy named Butler over around Muskegon, Mich. who dealt in them.
    If he is still vertical, he could probably help you.
    MK

14. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

0   0   0

I was never into items from the east,but for many years I was interested in items used by the German armed services. I started to get intrested in this stuff in 68-69. After searching and studying I got acquainted with some older guys that were interested in the same stuff.These guys had been into this stuff for almost twenty years before I ever knew it existed.Some of them were also into bring back things from the east.One of the most interesting things that they ever told me was that if I wanted things from the east I should go to the wast coast and start searching going east and if I wanted things from Germany,go to the east coast and start searching going west.They told me that the most important thing to the guys coming back was to get home.Lots of them sold/traded the bring back items before they ever got home.In 1946 99% of the eastern stuff was in Cal. and 99% of the German stuff was in NY/NJ.It made sense to me. With the passing of time this is probably not so true. There is probably a very small percentage of these items in the same family that brought them back.I have a good friend who hit Germany the day the war was over.Being intrested in the German stuff,I asked him why didn't you bring back Lugars and SS daggers? He told me that it wasen't long before he had three nice Lugars and some neat daggers and then he said that after the first week he had thrown all that stuff away and about half of his own stuff. There was no place to put anything.If you didn't carry it you lost it. One of the best Lugars that I found was from a guy who was never in Germany. He was in a airplane mechanic crew in England. He said that the guys coming to England from Germany and France sold the stuff that they brought back for party money.Just a few things to think about. Good luck in your search. Patrick Swartz

15. skeezix

skeezix Member

0   0   0

these look interesting. Advertised as original 16th and 17th century Samurai Katana swords.

http://www.arizonaskiesmeteorites.com/Antique_Samurai_Swords_Katanas_Wakizashi/index.html

john

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.