1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a job in this economy can be expensive

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Recently I had a thread on here that my niece accepted a position in Libertyville Ill. My son also graduated in May with his Masters degree, and is continuing his search for a job. One employer that he applied to had 300 applicants and it was down to the final 6.

They asked my son to fly out for an interview which he had to pay himself for the flight and lodging. He then was told he was in the final two, and the President of the company called him and requested that he fly out again as he wanted to meet him for the final interview process.

Once again, he incurred the cost of the flight and lodging. They promised him that a final decision would be made by a certain date, and that they would call him either way. He received no call, and his call to the company went unanswered.

This morning he received a standard letter stating that they filled the position but they would keep his application on file.

I always thought that employers paid for the flight and lodging for an out of town interview? Obviously, I am misinformed, as this did not happen. Anyone know what is the standard for interviews when the applicant is from out of town?

Steve Balistreri

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If they need you, they pay. HMB

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

All the interviews that I have had have been reimbursed by the company that asked me to come in for the interview. I guess the economy has gotten a lot tougher since I was in the market but still, those type of expenses should be picked up by the company. A typical out of state interview will easily result in $1,500(+) in travel expenses - not something a person that needs work can really afford.

The other downside of letting a company stick you with those expenses is that you are showing your hand that you really need the job and that will give them the green light to make a low ball job pay & benefits offer if they make a the decision to hire.

4. cementman

cementman Member

I may agree that for the initial interview of 300 applicants, the individual, if interested in the position should pay his way.

When it gets down to the final six or two in this case, the company should pick up the expense.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The employer should ALWAYS pick up the cost of the flight. Wolfram is right. You will find out very quickly if they are really interested or not based on if the do or not. If they are only checking out their options, why would they not interview your kid if he will foot the bill?

6. pdq

pdq Member

Steve:

In my 30 years in corporate America, I've always seen the company pick up the tab for interviewing. I can't fathom otherwise.

Only bright spot? Your son can deduct the cost of job search activities when he files his taxes. Not much, but a little bit of help financially.

Pete

7. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Live and Learn! I had a phone interview with 6 people, the General Manager included. They narrowed it down to 5 guys. They wanted me to pickup the flight down to Waco Tx from CT. I passed on the job! Still unemployed so its sour grapes. I am sorry for his loss.

Harry Lyga BSME

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Nobody made the individual pay for his own transportation and expenses- the choice was his so where's the beef? He could have declined and probably should have since any company this cheap probably wouldn't have been a good place to work anyway- JMHO.

9. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Company should of at least offered. Normally they arrange flight's and Car you just pay for food and file expense report that they reimburse.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wolfram's comments were exactly right. The company should always pay for out of state travel to an interview.

-Gary

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have seen both sides of the coin on this.

Boeing picked up the tab for me, with lodging, flight, and meals, to fly down from western NY to northern VA to interview. This was in 2004. On the other hand, I had to drive from western NY to Maryland to interview at another defense contractor (ITT). This was in early 2005. I got a call from a technical publishing company back in 2004, that was in NJ and they called me for an interview and wanted me to come in for an interview the next day. After I told them where I lived and that I needed to arrange my schedule to drive down to NJ, from western NY, they essentially said, "we will give you a call back to schedule an interview at a later date.." Never heard from them again. I had interviewed for a gov't agency twice back in 2004 and they paid the expenses (flight, lodging, meals). I had interviewed with another agency where they did just phone interviews.

It depends on the company or gov't agency. For private sector,the bigger the company, the more resources they may have to spend on applicants. Also, given this economy, if you really want a job and are not tied down to one geographical area (e.g. kids, marriage), you need to be proactive and make your own arrangements to travel to where the interview is if they won't do it for you. It's a gamble.

I came down to work in the DC area in early 2006, with one suitcase and all the stuff I could haul in my little Honda. My agency that I work for now didn't pay for relocation expenses. It was basically, after doing the interview, " if you want this position, reply back that you accept and report on this date for indoctrination." I bounced around between rooms I have found for rent off of craigslist and finally found a housemate who worked at the same agency that I was working at....now a few years later, I have settled in the area out on my own.

Good luck to your son....what is his degree in?

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I guess it depends on the company and the job. Back in the early 90s during the last recession I applied for a job in Las Vegas. I paid my way from Indiana to Nevada to interview. They didn't offer to pay and I didn't ask, because one I was the one applying for the job and two I didn't want to feel obligated if the job was offered. I didn't take the job. Probably a mistake, as I've really cleaned up here. LWS (laced with sarcasm)

13. senior smoke

sernv99:
    He is in non profit. One of the positions was in Washington D.C. and they said being in non profit they could not pay for his flight or lodging. Anyone know if if this is true or not?
    Steve

14. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

In hindsight if he asked for the the second trip to be paid for it would have got down to brass tacks quickly.

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Steve: in general, most non-profits won't pay for non-local applicants to travel from out of town to interview unless it's for an executive position or the applicant has a niche skill that the non-profit really needs and needs right away. Since the non-profit was in D.C., I know the local applicant pool here is still very strong, with many of them holding advanced degrees, so there is not much incentive for this non-profit to pay for your son's expenses, unless he falls in the two catagories I described above. No fault on your son's educational background....been there, done that, as stated in my previous experience above with one of the defense contractors I interviewed for several years ago (ITT).

What this non-profit should had done was do a phone screening interview for the first go around and if they liked what they heard, they should had requested your son for an in-person interview for the second go around. Hiring managers can easily weed out folks over the phone (although I prefer to do in person interviews). I have no clue why they didn't do this, especially for an out of town applicant. Some organizations are run more effeciently than others....

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Sounds like the difference between companies whose CEOs get golden parachutes versus ones who get silver parachutes.

17. senior smoke

sernv99:
    He has his Masters degree, and he has worked in non profit previously. He has been applying for executive positions.
    Steve

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I find it strange that they didn't fly him out and pay for his lodging if this was for an executive position. That puts a bad image on the organization but I guess in this economy, it's the norm until things change for the better.

good luck to your son....

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I may have gone on 12-15 job interviews that required airline travel during my career, and never paid for a flight, meal, or hotel. Your son was very foolish to pay for the interview costs, regardless of the job market. I hope he learned a lesson.

20. senior smoke

It seems as though the job market has really changed from the time I originally got my first FT job years ago. My son mentioned that a recruiter recently told him that companies have so many more qualified applicants for positions and a lot of companies are no longer picking up the cost.

He told him that they feel if you are serious about getting the position, you will pay out of your own pocket. Problem is, if you are out of work you really can't afford to pay, and like a previous above thread response mentioned, the employer will take it as your desperate and low ball you on an offer. I sometimes wonder if things will ever get better in this country? It's very easy to get "Optical Rectossis", a bad outlook on life in this economy.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.