1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Gunstock Wood pre-primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I am about to re-stock a gun, and I have been trying to get de-ignorantised about woods, but the more I read, the less I know.

Does anybody know of a kindergarten-level text that can tell me which Walnuts are what, and why the ratio between radial & tangential movement is important in a stable stock ... and what is sapwood anyhow, and why don't you want it in a stock.

And what does whether it is quarter-sawn or slabbed have to do with making a good stock?

This gun is a live-bird gun, and will go to the ricefields for geese, too, so the only thing it will eat is heavy-stuff. 'Pretty' means 'fragile' to me, so 'pretty' is not very important.

Does anybody know what kind of fenceposts Danielle Perazzi used in 1970? That's what I think I want: light in weight with a close, tight grain, and just enough figure to absorb some shock and not be brittle.

'preciate it.

Bob

2. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

just get a slab of oak and start whittlin..Wenigs has about anything you want, give them a call.

3. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Bob,

Look through several of the established websites and you'll get a pretty good grounding on most of your questions. Google walnut gun blanks and you should have a pretty good selection of sites to choose from.

You may find some contradictory claims, but generally the wood guys agree on the basics.

Mike Mann

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Joe, I've stocked a few guns, wih Macon & Wenig hammer-fit timber - and they were learning experiences - but this one is for MEEEEEE, and hammer-fit is not an option this time, anyhow.

Mike, I sent you a mail.

Yeah, I have read those sites until my head is whirling 2hrs after I shut the computer down.

I tend to trust shooters who are wood-men, more than woodmen, alone.

A significant complicating factor is this is a sidelock, so the head & wrist ARE the lumber.

thanks, both .

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.