1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Great Reloading book

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by o3dave, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

Im new to reloading, Im hoping there is a great book on shotgun reloading that I havent been able to find on my own. I load strictly 2 3/4 shells for trap shooting. I understand the basic principles but my loads dont seem to register any wad pressure on my mec 600 jr. Im guessing that I dont have the proper wad size to my load?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Dave

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want wad pressure you can make an adjustment to the loading machine. If you want reloading information go to one of the many gun powder manufacturers web sites. HMB

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dave, to expand hmb's remarks, you can lower the ram tube that seats the wad and also drops the shot. You should lower the tube until you just see a bit of movement in your wad pressure scale. You don't need 25, 30, or 40 lbs or more of wad pressure with modern hulls, wads, and so on. Just enough pressure to convince you that the wad is seating well on the powder. The Lyman loading books are good but have a lot more info than that needed for shot shell loading. If you're using a MEC machine, getting just a tad of wad pressure, crimps about as deep as the thickness of a dime, and crimps without crunched up petals or open holes in the center, and then use recipes from the several powder mfg. handbooks, you'll be just fine. Calling Mec you will find lots of good advice on any adjuestments you may want on your machine.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

BDodd, great explanation. Thanks for taking the time.
    Dave

5. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

03Dave..........What components are / were you using? And.......how did the reloaded shells perform ?

6. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

Im using CCI 209 primer, 1 1/8 ounce #8 shot, 28g of red dot powder, AA wads wwaa12. This is how the machine was configured when I purchased it used obviously. I have an old lyman book, the concoction was listed in the recipe section. However when shooting trap, my loads sound significantly quieter, less brisk, and delayed. I thought perhaps I wasnt compacting the powder enough with 0 wad pressure. I reloaded 12 boxes and had a friend shooting my loads as well as my self, I could compare his and my shots to the other 3 fellows on the line shooting shelf bought ammo.

My initial thought was to make sure I had the correct wad, which appears I do.
    I believe I should be able to reduce my powder to closer to 20 or 21g. but that would reduce my wad pressure even more?

Im in oregon and the temps at night are in the 40s. I read an earlier post that stated perhaps magnum primers were needed to accuate cold powder.
    Im considering making that change as well. Any thoughts?

I appreciate all the help with this. Im new to the forums and almost everyone has been real helpful. (a little thick skin helps too)
    Thanks, Dave

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I hope 28 grains of Red Dot is a typo, Dave. 18 grains is enough with the other components mentioned. A known accurate scale is a must. Good luck.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I don't think you want to use 28g of red dot. It will make a very large bang and you might have to pick up the pieces of your shotgun from the ground. Mec lists the amount of red dot powder to be used from 17.8 to 19.1 grains depending upon components to be used. HMB

9. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

And......what Brand of empty Hull ? Winchester ? Plus......just look to www.alliantpowder.com I use their reloading data ALL the time. I've found that their and Mecs "suggestions" for powder bushings are a bit conservative. DO you use a scale? If you look up "shotshell" reloading on their site Winchester hull / 1 1/8th shot / CCI209M (note the M)., it lists 18.5 grains of Red Dot (MAX)...WHICH will GIV 10,500 PSI.....PRETTY HOT. Something you are doing is wrong.Try starting over from scratch using Allianpowder.com's SPECS. AND use a scale. Good Luck

10. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Dave What is the number on the powder bushing you are using? should only be a #30 or #31 for the components you listed. You can check on the aliant powder website (alliant powder.com) or call them @800-276-9337 ext#2 for tech support.
    Like the guys said before get and use a good quality powder scale. I use a RCBS #1010 & a Pact digital scale, love them.
    **It is very possible to explode the gun and get hurt or hurt someone else if you dont follow the recipes that the
    powder companies spend their time & resources to develope, which they will provide to you for free ** good luck and good shooting ML.

11. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

Thanks guys. I just returned from Bimart. I bought an RCBS scale and a 19, 20 and 21 MEC powder bushing. I will play around with weights to confirm the bushings are accurate.

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Dave , good going.......I've found that Alliant's and Mec's bushing charts are "conservative" . When I want to try a new powder..I look up their bushing chart and start there. Then I fine tune my MEC loader using a scale and one of my "MANY" bushings. I think I have no.s 18 thru 38.
    P.S Was 28 grains of RED DOT a TYPO ?

13. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

NO 28g was the bushing I used with the red dot. The fellow I purchased it from had the 28 and 29. I followed his recipe which was in a lyman shotshell handbook, The First Complete Edition. I picked up 18-22 Bimart had in stock. Once the football games are over I plan to do some measurments to check how accurate the MEC powder bushings are.

14. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

If your planning on using Red Dot....I would start with 31 or 32 MEC bushing.
    Mec "says" #31= 18.5grains / #32 = 19.2 grains of Red Dot.Hope you didn't get those new bushings for Red Dot. Now that you have a scale.....you will learn ALOT more .........and FEEL SAFER reloading any recipe you want to try. The bushings you bought will be good for finer "pistol" powders like Longshot or Titegroup. I'm thinking I have used #19 for Titegroup (Hodgdon). It's a GOOD powder for duplicating Remington Nitro's.

15. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

I was in error. I was using MEC bushing #28 not 28 g of red dot.

16. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I saw that DAVE......BUT what ARE THE 18-22 BUSHINGS FOR?

17. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

I purchased them when I purchased the scale earlier today before I was aware of my mistake in understanding the powder charts.
    I have no use for them now. But a cheap lesson learned!

18. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

You can take them back or "save" them for a NEW powder......like Titegroup. Look at Hogdgon's site and see what you need. Bushings are relatively cheap and like I said I have #18 thru #38. ....they may come in handy sometime.

19. o3dave

o3dave TS Member

I agree. I imagine soon, I will be more savvy with this and will likely acrue
    quite a few to play around with.
    Thanks again for all of your help.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.