1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good 20g sxs shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nhp1, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhp1

nhp1 TS Member

I'm looking at purchasing a 20g sxs for birdhunting, anybody have any suggestions? Have been doing a lot of research on the CZ Bobwhite and have came up with some negative reviews. I'm looking for middle of the class sxs, since I can't afford the upper end ones. I like the Franchi Destino ane the Highlander, but are out of my price range. Thank you for your input!

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you dont have a lot of choices in the lower price range[500 to 1000] the bad stuff about CZ is that the guys think that it should work and look like a $10,000 Parizzi
    oh i can't spell it because i cant have one PERAZZI

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

PBB, what are the barrel lengths and chokes on the hammergun?

4. nhp1

nhp1 TS Member

PerazziBigBore, please post some pics of your Beretta 625. Are you firm on that price? Please let me know. Thanks!

5. nhp1

nhp1 TS Member

What are your opinions on the CZ Bobwhite?

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I have a DeHaan Huglu S2 w/30" barrels and really like the way it shoots! Great for Upland hunting, and sweet on the Skeet field! Absolutely no problems after 2500 rounds or so. Still tight with no visible wear. Highly recommend for the price! HTH - AndyH

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Look around at a Gun show

Browning Bss and SKB 200 can be found in the above price range or less

The SKB 100 is freq a steal since they arent too fancy in wood or metal; got mine for under $500 an dit is a super gun. Did my first 25 in skeet with it the day I bought it.

A few older Berettas can be had fo $1k or so.

regards

8. Desert Hiker

Desert Hiker Member

I am considering selling my Remington SPR210 SXS. This is and has been a very good gun especially for the price range. I originally purchased it new in March 2008. It has 26" barrels, in very good condition with nickel receiver and walnut stock. The gun is made in Russia and is currently in Remingtons catalog. I have a 20 ga. O/U Remington SPR310 that I will probably keep and buy an inexpensive 12 ga. which then will give me a 12 and 20. If I sell the SXS the amount will be $399.00.

9. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

a guy i shoot with has a Huglu sxs 20 gauge that is very well made and a pleasure to shoot. i think he paid $700.00 or less for it. i would suggest you check it out. jm

10. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

+1 on the SKB 100 or 200. I wouldn't pound one at trap or skeet, but for hunting they are tough to beat.

AJ100

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how about some older savage/stevens marlins, next to my 870 Ive brought down all other birds with my dads savage, looks like a boat oar shoots like a broom, If I could I would shoot a few rounds of trap with it(you got your own guns now son)

12. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

nhp1,

I have an SKB 480 20 ga. Mod and IC. The LOP has ben lengthened with spacers, but I have the original recoil pad to bring it back to factory specs. The 480 is a 200 series with silver nitride receiver, enhanced engraving, upgraded wood and checkering and a English (straight) stock. I feel the SKB is better handling than the Browning BSS, but that is opinion, not fact.

I would consider selling the 480 for $1,400 if that met your budget. Email me for photos if interested.

This shotgun was # 26 of the line and therefore came with a breakdown case as all the first one hundred of the series did. I have owned five SKB SxS 20 ga. guns over the years. Three have been the 480 series. All were flawless in performance with no breakdowns or maintenance other than routine cleaning.

HBT

13. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The days of finding a CLEAN Browning BSS 20ga. for a 1,000 or less are long gone .

alf

14. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I have a friend that has a charles daly SxS 20 ga choke tube single trigger ejector that is new he will sell for 700. I think it;s a good value if your interested e-mail me and I'll give him your # to call you.
    Joe

16. Bridger

Bridger Member

Well there's a local guy who I hear wants to sell his Model 21, 20 gauge custom deluxe two barrel set for $26K. A lot of money to be sure but it apparently is a knockout gun and think how good you'd look with it.

17. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

18. esetter

esetter Active Member

Take a look at the new Smith and Wesson Ellite series SXS guns. They are super nice in every respect and you can pick one up for around $1500-1700. They are the most gun for the money that I have seen lately. Fit and finish are excellent and the wood is very nice also.

19. romie

romie Active Member

I have a BSS S/S 20 gage Mint I do not know the choke but it was owned by a Bird hunter that would like $1200 .I am leaving today and will be gone a week monday.If you are intrested call me by 2:00 today or when I get back.
    662-335 2323xx monty.

I also have an older merkel double trigger 16 gage and a Parker two barrel set.

20. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

For a good bird gun, look at Stevens 311 sxs. My brother hunted with one for years, and still has it. Two triggers is the only drawback, not a big issue for hunting. Most will have bluing wear and dings, so you can throw it in the truck without worrying. And, your friends with the high end sxs's and o/u's will be amazed when you outshoot them.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke tube pattern for franchi destino sxs 20 ga

skb sxs 20g reviews

what is a good sxs shot gun