1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking for a good 12ga reload

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I am getting a new kolar .750 bore skeet gun, and will finally be able to shoot 12ga out of the over/under (my current gun has unshootable carrier barrels so I can only shoot 20ga 28ga and 410 out of it).

Any recommendations for a low recoil 12ga load that also offers good pattern distribution? Looking for something @ 1145 fps w/ 1 1/8oz shot. I know certain powders and wads recoil less than others (simply from my own experience), any recommendations on a low recoil combo? I tried downrange wads and clays powder last time I shot 12ga, and recoil was pretty stout. Will be loading STS hulls, and the recipe listed must be a book recipe, i don't experiment with unpublished home brews. I plan on shooting #8s if that makes a difference. B/w the .750 bore, the PFS is use, and i'm planning on having the gun pigeon ported by proport, I imagine the recoil should be pretty low, but i'd like to shave as much recoil off as possible.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

American Select or Green Dot should work nicely for you.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

skeetman, As with your other guns the 20,28,and 410 gauges all shoot at 1200 fps. I think that it would be wise to do the same for the 12 ga. loads as well. I have not used a 1 1/8 oz. load for skeet in over 4 years. I love the one oz. load with clays @1180 fps, with a claybuster AA clone wad. Patterns great and gives me low recoil without costing me any targets that 1 1/8 oz. load would not miss. When I miss a target it is not the difference in 1/8 oz. of lead. With lead prices over $40.00 a bag why waste the lead. Alot of our shooters are even loading 7/8 oz. as well.Best of Luck with the new gun (and loads) and don't forget!!! Break-em all. Jeff

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

one ounce is certainly an option, but if I can handle 1 1/8oz with no ill effects recoil wise, why not (I should end up with pretty much the most lowest recoiling 12ga o/u skeet gun ever devised b/w the 750 bore, pfs, 2 3/4 dram shells, and 10lb+ gun). I'm only really looking for a little more margin for error on that 2nd doubles target on 4 anyways. Assuming 3400 12ga shells shot over the course of the year (1700 registered and the same amt for practice, and i'm SURE it would amount to alot less than that since I shoot most of my practice w/ the small gauges), you only save one bag of shot over the course of the entire year, and if I can pick up a target or two on my doubles every shoot and win a shootoff or two more, i'd be willing to spend that extra $40 over the course of the year (i'd probably more than earn that back in extra winnings anyways LOL).

5. sixten38

sixten38 Member

If you are looking for a 12 gauge skeet load, I am having great success with 17 grains Clays, Claybuster Federal 12S0 clone wad and Win 209 primer with 3/4 ounces of shot into a Rem STS hull. 1200 fps is the published speed and the recoil is minimal, you can shoot it all day, price is great as well. Dave

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

so far my favorite low kicker good target crusher 1oz shot cci209 tgt12 wad and 15.3 gns of Clays in Remington hull. 1125fps. Also the Estate 1oz 1145fps shells work very well out of my gun. From the 16 im finding slower fps 1oz loads are getting better results. Im going down to 7/8oz shortly to strech out my lead. Want some really soft shooter, Winchester Featherlites. 980fps 26gram load so soft its scary.......and yes they brake tarkets. Mu wife did well with these in the begining.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you only shoot Skeet, you already know the 20 will crush 'em.

I would never use 1 1/8 oz at Skeet. It not only kicks more, which you do not need, it does not break the bird any better. The farthest shot you will make is the second bird on station 4 dubs, when shooting the low bird first. Let's call it 26 yards, max.

A one ouncer at 1200 fps is more than adequate for any Skeet shot. I have been shooting Skeet since 1958, and the only time I ever use a 12 is if I am using a gun that is not tubed.

The difference in weight of your gun will affect you negatively more than any more shot will help your scores.

If you are going to shoot Trap, one ounce will still be more than enough for Singles, Dubs, and short yardage Caps.

I have long used Solo 1000 for the 12, but look around and see what is popular and available in your area.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you look at the stats of the top shooters many have better averages with their 20 gauge than with the 12 gauge. And many shoot the 20 in the 12gauge event. More important than the extra pellets might be shooting the same gun in all the events. HMB

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

ANY decent Skeet shooter can break them all with 7/8 oz of #9s at 1200~1250 fps. There is over 500 pellets in that load....much more than 1 1/8 oz of #8s. My favorite for Skeet is 3/4 oz of #9, using 18 gr Promo and DR XXL wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.