1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Browning Restoration

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7remmag, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7remmag

7remmag Member

I have a Browning Citori made in 1993 and it's in good shape, but there is some wear on the bluing from the previous owner's use. There are also quite a few marks on the stock from the prior owner carrying it taken down in some kind of case that allowed the pieces to bump together and mar the stock up. I would really like to have the bluing redone and the stock refinished, but I want to have it done properly. Does anyone know where I can have it properly restored? I'm an avid trapshooter so I would need a pretty quick turn around. Thanks for the help!

2. hot springs

hot springs TS Member

I had Midwest Gun Works do a complete restoration of a saltwood Superposed that was going South in a hurry. I had it restocked, the receiver rewelded and reblued, re-engraved etc. The gun came back PERFECT. I'm sure I spent more on it than the gun is worth. However, I don't like for anything i own to look mistreated. They later did a 20 guage 2 barrel set for the same reason and I am very satisfied with it.

I have no experience with the other gun shop aforementioned. They may be just as godd or better. I just wanted to say my experience with Midwest has been excellent.

I would wait until after shooting season is over with as their refinishing process does take a while

3. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Either Midwest Gun Works or Art's Gun & Sport's Shop are the both good shops to do the work you want done. MGW has done a lot of different jobs for me on Brownings and I have always been well satisfied.

4. 7remmag

7remmag Member

Thanks to everyone for their responses and advice, I will definitely be waiting until the end of the season to do anything with it. Would it be a good idea to send it back to Browning for the refinishing? Or would Midwest Gunworks be the better idea?

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Another option is to give Doug Braker a call and talk to him about what he offers. He has some nice coatings that are a lot more durable than bluing. Examples of his 1st class work adorns this site if you use the search function.

Here's his contact info:

Doug Braker

Doug's Gunsmith Shop

3929 8th St SW

Backus, MN 56435

218-947-3600

ss

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

+1 for the work Doug Braker did on my ol' girl ('63 Superposed).

Jim Chapman

Hell, Michigan

7. gaboy77

gaboy77 Member

I sent a fire damaged locked up Belgum A5 to Browning and now it looks like the day it left the factory in the 60's. They did an outstanding job. Now for the bad. It was expensive and they had the gun for 10 months. I knew that going in but if you are looking for a quick turnaround, one of the others listed above will probably be a better choice.

8. Slugo

Slugo Member

"Browning service doesn't deal with stocks, refinishing or stock repairs."

Oh yes they do. I had a small chip in the forend of my Lightning Sporting Clays. Sent it directly to Browning including the entire gun. They had it back to me in 3 weeks with a new, exact match and perfectly fitted forend. Couldn't ask for better service...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning gun restoration forum

browning restoration

browning superposed restoration

midwest gunworks pictures before after restoration superposed

midwest gunworks redoing superposed

reviews of midwest gun works browning superposed work

who does browning restoration