1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a 7/8 oz 12 gauge recipe for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JPM, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM

JPM Member

The Alliant Powder reloading page shows 4 loads that meet your needs using Remington hulls and 5 loads using Winchester AA hulls. All of these are using
    Alliant's Extra Lite powder and all have very reasonable pressure readings.
    JPM

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've played with a bunch of 7/8 recipes and had only moderate success in the 1150 region. I seem to be able to get much more consistent burns in the 1175-1200 range. Many people prefer even faster with 7/8 ounce. I started with Red Dot, but it's even filthier than ususal with light loads. I moved to E3 and play to stay there, but the Extra Lite should be great....I just don't see a need for it.

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm using Gold Medal hull, 12SO wad, Federal primer, 18 grains of red dot. They seema little slow. I'm thinking next week I'll bump it up 1 grain +.

Ed Yanchok

4. shrek

shrek Active Member

I have had good luck with 7/8 oz loads at 1250 to 1300 fps. that range keeps the pressure up enough to get consistant burns.

I have not tried an extra lite yet either, it might work ok at lower speeds...

5. oz

oz Active Member

hodgdon's.com if you go too light you will get unburned powder. oz

6. PILLMAN

PILLMAN TS Member

I use clays/clay dot powder , 31 MEC bushing (17.1-17.4gr) , claybuster 7/8 winchester grey clone , and winchester/chedite primer , in a STS , NITRO 27 or a gun club hull . I use 7 1/2 , 8 1/2 , and 9 shot , using these in trap upto 24 yds (practice) , skeet and sporting clays (short yds) . I load about 10,000 per year , a fantastic load , reccomend it highly . Phil Burton #9502565

7. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

That is pretty much all I shoot.

Winchester AA hull, 16.9 clays, WAA12SL Wad, Winchester 209 primer. States that it is 1200 fps, but I have Chrono alot and they are between 1145-1190. It is a super soft shooting load.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Look into Winchesters AA Lite powder. Its made for slow loads with 7/8 oz and one oz. lead loads. Break-em all. Jeff

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jeff. 7/8 at that speed is right in the sweet spot for Winchester AA Lite powder.

Good stuff.

10. dhip

dhip Active Member

Pillman,,,I noticed you using 9 shot.I bought some thinking of trying it,was told it is too light,like throwing sand at the birds.Just wondering in warmer weather and 1 oz. loads if you think that 9 shot would be ok at the 16-20 yd. range?Any others have any comments on 9 shot,I'd like to hear.Sorry,don't mean to Hyjack thread.

Doug H.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Doug,

Just for fun, I shot 75 targets this weekend with Olympic skeet loads with 9 shot. My barrel choke is a very tight full (42 thousandths) and those Olympic loads are 1350 fps, and they incinerate targets.

72 out of 75, if I recall.

If your shooting style is to let the target get way out there, 8's or 8-1/2's might be better.

12. ABH

ABH Member

STS hulls, Claybuster 0178 wads ( dark gray ) Fed 209 primer and 15.5grs of Titewad will give you about 1200fps. Very clean load.

ART H.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

18 gr of titewad and any wad that fits.

good singles and skeet load.

HM

14. Txdirtbroker

Txdirtbroker TS Member

16.7 - 17.0 gr promo, down range pink wad works well at the 16
    gary

15. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Ed How are your crimps with that load? Been trying that combo in a top gun hull and crimps are very dished. Thanks Ken

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

timb99 Thanks,it's just when I was buying shot,to get a discount had to buy 10bags,in filling out the order,I just happened to pick up 2 bags of 9 shot.I usually use 71/2 or 8's,but being new to sport I figured why not try 81/2 and 9's just to see what happens.Thanks for reply,oh,being new,my handicap is 20yd line,but I figure this summer I might use the 9 on 16yd shoots.

Doug H.

17. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I love E3 with the Downrange hot pink wad, AAs. A MEC #29 bushing chronos @ 1220fps for me. Super light recoil, I can shoot them all day. Very clean, almost no residue. Great load for ladies and youth. I'm going to try a #28 and make sure the velocities remain consistant. My 1oz. load is right about 1205fps, I'm tyring to replicate that velocity for practice with 7/8oz.

18. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Use the following: Rem STS case/Rem 209 primer or Win AA case/Win 209 primer.
    16.2 to 16.4 grains of Clays powder(this amount is important to meet velocity requirements) Win AA Gray wad. 7/8 of shot. I like 8 1/2 for the ability to fill the pattern & still have some downrange energy. I have shot literally 1000's of this load. I have patterned in many guns & chrono'd it. It does about 1160 or a bit more depending on the bore. Don't try to change anything. I have tried & this works best. Buy the wads/powder/primers. You won't be sorry. And this is the lowest recoiling 7/8 oz 12 ga I have found. And I have had NO problems with poor burn,bad loads,etc. My bores are super clean after shooting this load. It is below most powder amount recommendations but I challenge the following:try 16.3 & then 17.3 to 17.5 & see what you think.

19. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ken,
    My crimps are a little dished, but acceptable. They'll probably improve with a slight bump in powder.

Champion 11,
    The TM9-X hasen't missed a target since I got it. I wish that I could say the same for myself.

Ed Yanchok

20. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

For 7/8 oz loads I have been using Fed Paper hulls, 17.4 gr/Claydot, SO Wads, Chedite Primers. Great trap load and works well for skeet.
    I also have been loading Win AA hulls with 16 grs of Claydot, gray 7/8 oz wad, Chedite primers. Great 16 yd and skeet load, very little recoil in my 32" XT.
    Both these loads are about 1200 FPS.

Good luck!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 ga recipes using old win aa hulls

12 gauge 7 8oz load recipes

12 guage trapshooting reload recipes

best 12 gauge trap recipe

clay dot for 1oz 12ga

how to reduce recoil when reloading winchester 12 ga aa hulls