1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a 1 1/8 oz Promo load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by missemucho, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missemucho

missemucho Member

I just decided to join the parade to Promo after using Claydot for years. I'm looking for a singles load around 1150 fps with the following components:
    cheddite primer, DR F8, Rem STS hulls and 1 1/8 oz shot. How many grains of Promo do I need to start off? I'm not a huge fan of recoil, so hold the killer loads!
    John

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

17.5 same as Red Dot.
    Don

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I load 17.5 as well, but with a Fed. primer and 1oz of shot.

Works well for me, especially out of Mod. 12.

Regards....Gerald

4. Ducky

Ducky Member

Go to the reloaders guide and shop around

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Every question about Promo is answered at the link above..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I too hate recoil. Try 1oz 16 grains It will eat 16 yard targets without the pounding. One thing to watch "weigh your shot" everyone I have checked is light. I opened mine up with a dremmell to hold just a tad over 1oz. I have also shot good scores with this load from the 24 yard line. with that said I have decided this year to throw 1 1/8 with 18.5 promo for capps only, I have shot practice with this load, it kicks a bit but I will stick with it this year to see if my scores go up. If they don't it will be back to 1 oz next year. I have shot red dot and 700x before promo I hear how dirty promo is however I haven't really noticed it, I clean my gun after every shoot with no problems to date.

7. 682b

682b Member

The parade goes on. Your reloaders guide will confirm the 17.5 load. Jump on the second band wagon Jim

8. missemucho

missemucho Member

Actually the Alliant guide doesn't cover the combination I want to use; no 1 1/8 Cheddite info. I would think with the high reloading costs we're facing the Promo/Cheddite combo would be a popular one and that's why I wanted to see what others were using. To use their guide you would have to make a couple of assumptions that I wasn't comfortable with (Red Dot = Promo and Cheddite = Winchester). Upon further review, I think Don and Jim have it right and I'm going to try 17.5 grs. I have no intention of using Promo for handicap; Green Dot will do everything I need with a lot less pressure and pain. Thanks everyone for the input.
    John

9. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

couple of assumptions that I wasn't comfortable with (Red Dot = Promo and Cheddite = Winchester). Both of those assumptions are right on. I use Rio Primers with my 17.5 and they work just fine. But once you use them you must stay with them since they make the primer hole larger.
    Don

10. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Make sure you use a powder scale with Promo. GREAT powder, been shooting it for many years. You need to make sure when you change LOT numbers that you check the weight. It will vary from lot to lot. ALWAYS check it. You may need to go up on down a bushing when you change lot numbers. VERY IMPORTANT!

11. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Add me to the list of those that are lovin 17.5 of Promo and Cheddite primers for my 1 1/8 oz. loads.

I also agree with the others that you should "base line" every jug you buy of Promo to see how the powder charge drops from each lot. I also think the advise to shake up the jug and intersperse the larger powder flakes associated with Promo is good advise.

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

Once again thanks for the advice; I weighed several drops from each of the bushings on my digital scale and wrote them down on a piece of tape attached to the jug (to protect again ageheimers). "Doc"'s comment about shaking the jug is one I hadn't heard before.
    John

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Shake gently???
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.