1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LOOKING FOR 7/8 oz LOAD USING PB

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by eric, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Price of shot has me now looking for a good 7/8 oz load using PB powder. I am loading STS hulls and don't have a wad picked out yet. Anyone have a good recipe?

Eric

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

You maybe looking a long time..........PB is most likely too slow for 7/8. Good luck............

GS

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Eric, PB is just not a good choice for a 7/8 OZ load. Even if you could find a load. Just too slow. Jeff

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Eric, True as stated above PB is slow, 700X is a better choice for 7/8 load.

Click on this website URL and browse the pages of hodgdon powder, this should give you an idea.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

way too slow. You'll not only use gobs of very expensive powder, you'll get wildly inconsistent results.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I agree with the nay-sayers above. My best weenie load ever, most reliable, most consistent, low, single digit standard deviations was with 700X (16.5 to 17gr) which also metered very reliably in my MECs. My take is the weenie loads NEED the fast burning powder and enough of it to support a good consistent burn....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

In my search for the tightest patterning 24 gram bunker load I tested PB. It turned out to be ONE OF THE BEST. I used the 1325 '/s powder doseage recommendation in the IMR manual, using the Federal 209A primer -- the Winchester was thumpier -- and found VERY consistent chronograph results and an excellent pattern using Remington cases and Win wads.

I abandoned it ONLY because it was a bit thumpier than other component combinations that gave equal patterns. For what it's worth, I use TiteWad for my 1325'/s second barrel loads and Clay Dot for the lower velocity first barrel loads. These powders seem to develop the optimum patterns for the respective distances.

- - Bill

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And I have no doubt that using enough slow burning powder, reaching for 1325 fps will improve the consistency of the load as stated by Bill. Eric, if you are loading for the speed of Bunker shooting, then I'm sure PB could be a reliable powder. My first remarks were for someone loading in the 1200 to 1230 fps range and trap/skeet games.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

WAA, STS, Gun Club - 17 grs. REX 1, F616, CB4100, 7/8 oz. shot. Velocity 1235 soft shooter and smokes them. RG

10. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for the suggestions - looks like I will be trying either 700x or perhaps the REX 1 and will save the PB for l 1/8 oz.

Eric

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Eric, if we're back on trap and skeet loads sort of velocity, there certainly are other powder that "should" perform well, like Clays, Red Dot and I've even had folks tell me they dabble in Unique. My excellent results with 700X could probably be replicated with others and my point was for these velocities, stick with the "faster" or "hotter" powders than PB. Economy seems to be one of your main thoughts and surely you can see 16.5 gr. of 700X is likely to cost you less than a 18, 19, or 20 gr of PB anyway....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

3/4 oz shot, gray wad, 16.5 Clays. chokes down excellent. An improved cylinder patterns like a light full.

NRA had that load in an article a few years back.

HM

13. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Nothing wrong with PB and 7/8 other than cost, use 19.7 and a Grey 12L wad, W209 primer.

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I tried one ounce loads with PB and thought them to be very erratic, can't recall if I chronographed them. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.