1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for 1oz load Green Dot and Federal hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziboy1, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Hi im looking for anyone who loads 1oz of green dot in a federal hull. Looked at Alliants website but i am trying duplicate federals 1oz load. They will be used for the 1st shot in doubles and for my wife for 16s. I currently load GD for singles and Handicap with a downrange wad, 19.2 for 16s and 21.2 for HCP. Any help would very much appreciated. Steve Wolf

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think there are better choices than Green Dot for one ounce loads.

3. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Agree with timb especially in a straight wall hull like federal. Green dot would prolly be ok in a Remington or Win AA, but the velocity (and patterns) wouldn't be very consistent unless you ran them up to about 1250 fps.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use Red Dot with 1oz in fed papers

5. grouse 1970

grouse 1970 Member

Try 19.5 promo 6100 claybuster wad should give you 1250 fps.

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

...........I could not get Green Dot to work on 1 OZ loads. Clays is a much better choice ....SMOKIT

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

By saying you're are trying to load for first shot in doubles and for your wife, I assume you want a softer load. It takes so much GD to generate enough heat to have a consistent burn that I don't think you'll be happy with it. I shoot GD for about everything and the lowest I could go was the 17.5 grain with 1-1/8 to make it work. That was in good weather.

I load down to 3/4 load for my Grandkids and have to go to the faster powders to have any kind of consistency at all. My 1-oz is Red Dot, E3 or Titwad, all work well over a chronograph and the loads with Green Dot did not.

Good Luck,
    Ajax

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

18.5 grn dot,tgt wads,cheddite primer

Doug H.

9. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Unless you want to run it up to 1300fps.+-, Green Dot not worth the effort. It works good around this speed. Premier 1 1/8 oz. load as it is arguably the best at this payload.

As mentioned previously, go to the Alliant Site for exactly what you would want - no guessing or wondering, it's all there.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Red Dot, Promo, Clays, Clay Dot, Titewad, 700x, WinAALite, are all good powders for one ounce loads.

11. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I found some loads on alliants website but i think im going to try a different powder for my 1oz loads. Thanks again. Steve Wolf

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

Funny how a lot dispell the greendot with 1 oz.,but with my contact with Alliant,the above load they said would be a very nice load.Now,,what they mean by very nice??I really don't know,but it's treated me well.I've just finished shooting a winter league with this load also.

Doug

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

dhip,

Its not that it "won't work," or that it "sucks" its just that there are better powders, more well suited for 1 ounce loads.

Pheasantmaster swears by Green Dot for 1-1/8 ounce handicap loads.

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

ok timb99,,Have to admit,I'm new to sport and reloading(1yr.)
    person that got me into it strictly a green dot man.
    I tend to use what he recommends and I stick with something until it doesn't work.
    By better,explain,is it softer recoil?
    I understand green dot burns slower and is a push powder.
    Just don'w want to get into changing between stuff if one will do the job.

Doug H.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

dhip

Like I said, Green Dot will work, but it is more well suited for heavier loads.

I'm no expert either. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

It has to do with the speed of burn. "Faster" powders generate higher pressures with lighter loads. Higher pressures tend to result in more complete powder burn. Pressure too low, and you 'might' get incomplete or inconsistent burn, which may cause inconsistent muzzle velocities.

The converse is that if you use fast powders with heavy loads, you start to get pressures that are too high (look at Hodgdon Clays and 1-1/8 ounce loads at 1200 fps.)

And don't buy into that "push" versus "jab" theory that slow powders have less recoil than fast powders. Its a gun club myth.

Recoil is recoil, and its based on mass of ejecta and muzzle velocity. Period. Regardless of the powder you use.

A very clever fellow named Neil Winston did a very thorough test of this theory, and nobody could tell the difference.

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks,and,back to the post,He did ask for green dot reccommendation,that's all I offered,hope it wasn't misleading.As you've said and we both know,it works.Being new I tend to only answer when I feel I can answer the particuliar question,but don't offer alternatives unless asked.I just try to be helpful,as those who have been with me since I've gotten into the sport,and started reading this website.

Breakem All

Doug H.

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Doug, Im probably as bonafide loyal to a powder as anyone gets. As timb99 has already stated, mine is green dot. That being said, I do not care for green dot in 1oz loadingsusing cylindrical/straight walled case designs. Played with it and I don't believe there is enough weight above to get good consistantcy in softer loadings. I prefer Red Dot for trap speeds. Just my two cents worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.