1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking down the barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I shot in my skeet league last night and shot a miserable score. This after a terrible score last week and my first skeet lesson in between. I know how to stand and where to hold and look now, but I'm not 1) pointing the gun where I'm looking, 2) not looking where I'm pointing the gun, or 3) looking at the barrel. I missed some birds in front and behind, I'm sure, but I had no confidence that I was on plane. I think I will be able to deal with forward allowance and gun speed, but it's getting the gun on the plane of bird flight that I think is my problem.

I have a mini-mag light I use to practice my SC mount, as avocated by some SC teacher(s) (memory fails). Will practicing trap and skeet mounts and swings while looking at the light train my brain to look where the gun is pointing (and point the gun where I am looking)?

Danny

2. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

It works great, I use a laser bore sight that fits into the shotgun barrel. I practice mounting the gun to my face and tracking across the room following the corners of the room up, down and across. Aj

3. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

It seems to me that this question should be moved to a skeet site. As most of us here will not give a hoot if you are missing a skeet target or 2 or 10.

GS

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

You're thinking about everything except what you should, forget the gun/barrel/bead/choke/shells and LOOK at the target-----this also equates to trap.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

...and keep you head on the stock.
    ...and don't "bead check" to verify your leads.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

texas has it right but concentrate on the leading "edge" of the target. GOOD LUCK

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Skeet shooting is - dare I say - more challenging to learn at first than trap, but don't get discouraged. If you can, find a Todd Bender video or work with an experienced skeet shooter to get the hold points and foot positions while working on the leads which vary at each station. Skeet is slower than trap, but also a lot of fun as both games are. Hang in there. Ed

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I know the secret to good shooting is to focus hard on the bird. But, you have to be pointing the gun where you are looking.

I put my mag-light in the gun, and that is helping me with my mount, making sure I am pointing where I am looking.

Aj, where did you get the laser?

Danny

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Danny,

I agree with one of the poster's above. Get Todd Bender's "Insights to Championship Skeet Shooting" DVD.

Watch it over and over, slo-mo, and in reverse until it sinks in.

Helped me a lot.

And remember...HEAD ON THE STOCK, EYE ON THE TARGET!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap looking down the barrel