1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking Below the Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by missed some, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missed some

missed some TS Member

I don't look below the barrel with either eye, ever that I am aware of?? The target is ALWAYS above my barrel so i don't see a need to look below. mark crist

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'd be hoping some one like Phil K would comment on this. You don't want any opinion from the likes of me Simone. Good luck and Merry Christmas,Bob

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Keep the guns barrel from interfering with your eyes ability to see and lock on clearly from all stations. How far above the traphouse roof depends on how well we can see a whole complete target. Some see a streak right out of the house and some clearly see the target as a whole without an interfering streak attached. Look up only as high as needed to see the target as a whole while looking down through the gun. Thats the reason some people advise others to look here or there depends on where the adviser sees his best, possibly or probably not even close to your ability to pick up a target quickly? Thats sorta like advising the best POI for you or how soon you should shoot?

Hap

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

guess i didn't know you were talking about doubles. but even then i don't look below the barrel. but the way i shoot doubles maybe i should!!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In doubles I like to shoot the first bird with my left eye, while it is still under the barrel, and the second bird with my right eye, when it is above the barrel. HMB

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I would think that it depends on where your hold points are for stations 4 and 5. You can't look below the barrel if your gun is blocking your view from those stations. I would ask Leo.

7. Edbird99

Edbird99 TS Member

The great Remington pro,D.Lee Braun mentions in his book that he looks under the bsrrel and I've done this for years on all posts.When I tried to explain this in the past to other shooters I always felt as if I were looking through the gun as the rib seems to become transparent.I'm guessing thats what other shooters see who also use this style?

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If I understand Daro Handy correctly he recommends that you do not look for the bird until it clears the barrel.........SMOKIT

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you're doing it right, you don't actually look for anything. Just blank space, and allow your "quiet eye" take over.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

For two-eyed shooters, this is pretty standard stuff...in fact, it's pretty much the whole reason two eyes is better than one.

The weak eye tracks the bird below the barrel, and "hands off" to the strong eye once the bird is above the barrel. It's one of the biggest tips in successful trapshooting, and the people who don't know about it will never know how much of an advantage they're missing out on.

You can compete, not seeing the bird until it's above the barrel...but, never kid yourself that it's not a disadvantage. If you win trophies that way, pat yourself on the back for eking it out with an inferior technique. Most of the big dogs do it the other way.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shoot with both eyes. I look through the barrel and watch it leave the house.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow, we work so hard to make something so simple more difficult.

See bird. Break bird.

-Gary

13. bigben

bigben Active Member

In all the years of trap shooting and countless lessons, I have yet to see a two eyed shooter have his left eye looking at the trap house and the right eye over the barrel at the same time, if you want to shoot the trap house, look at it if you want to smoke a a clay target, look through and over your gun, the target will appear then and only then as a clear hittable target, There have been thousands of dollars wasted in lessons by trying to use the one eye to look down at the house the other eye somewhere else, have someone stand in front of you and have them watching the pupils of your eyes while they put one hand down and one hand up with different fingers extended on either hand, I'll wager that in all instances, both eyes will go the same direction at the same time.Go to an eye doctor, while being examined, ask him if he can see one eye going down while the other goes up, I'm quite sure what one eye does the other is doing the same at the same instance nuf said! incinerate em!

14. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I think Harlan says in his tapes look out in front for a whole clear target..don't look of streaks.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I look under the barrel and through the gun.

I look just above the edge of the house with my left eye, master eye over receiver.

Bigben, many shooters shoot this way. Your eyes do not need to move in different directions to see everything in your field of view.

16. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I took a class from Leo and he wanted us to look at the edge of the trap house. If you are a two eyed shooter had hold above the trap house you will only see the edge with your nondominate eye, your master eye cannot see the edge because it is blocked by the barrel. I think this works well with shooters how have a very dominate eye, for me I think that it caused misses because my nondominate eye took over. John Moore

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Actually, Marty Feldman perfected this technique. Regards, Ed

18. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Very clever Ed; I miss Marty...

Doc

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just feed your brain the informaion, it will sort things out and produce the desired effect. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

looking through the barrel

trap shooting-looking under the barrel