1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking at wrong end of the gun for help.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by just_bob, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just_bob

just_bob Member

About felt recoil:

Port your gun if you want,it seems to help some shooters.

But why not increase the area of the butt pad to reduce recoil.

pressure = force/area

Wouldn't a larger pad, provided it made good contact, reduce felt recoil?

I know someone will corret me if I'm wrong.

just_bob

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Sure, spreading the area of the recoil makes it feel more like a shove instead of a sharp blow concentrated in one area.

The only problem is that for most shooters to shoot well with a wide, thick pad on their shoulder, they must shorten the LOP of their gun to allow for the extra thickness of the pad on their shoulder. If you are willing to do that, it will greatly reduce the "felt" recoil.

Easystreet

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Sarge (fred) wrote: "my observation over the last 30 yrs is high frame o/u's will literally kick the snot and blood out of you."

The Browning Citoris are about as "high frame" as you can get in a modern O/U and I certainly don't think they kick much. I've got an XT that if I didn't hear it go off, I would think I had a misfire. My 525 Sporting Clays has only a little more recoil.

Personally, I don't think that the height of the frame has anything to do with recoil...... felt or otherwise. Just my $.02

Easystreet

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

This is where the 'trap shooter physique' comes into play. Big meaty(?) shoulders conform to the shotgun butt better than the skinny boney ones - more of the surface of the butt is actually in contact with the shoulder and recoil is distributed accordingly. Short fat necks help too.

But it takes tens of thousands of dollars in food and beer as well as many years of 'training' to accomplish this body modification. I speak from experience on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.