1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking at UTV (side by side) atv's ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Looking at UTV (side by side) atv

I am looking at a 09 JD diesel gator or a 09 Polaris Ranger. Which one do you guys like? Main use will be around the place but also for taking to sporting clays shoots. Any good bad or uglies about each?

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We have had 4 Gators, all diesels and love them, the first ones I bought were before they came out with 4 wheel independent suspension, then I traded mine in for one of the new ones and my wife drove it she said to call them and tell them to bring her one of the new ones out, we love them

As a matter of fact tomorrow I am getting new tires on mine wore them smooth in 550 hours, but the gravel it drives on mostly is fairly tough on them

One thing I will say is when the diesels are cold they do vibrate a little but not that bad

The only thing that has ever gone wrong with any of them is the parking brake on mine, and that was caused by me and the grand kids forgetting to release it until we smelled it while were we driving it

3. oz

oz Active Member

the polaris' parking brake will not let you move until you take it off.

4. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

The Polaris will ride much smoother. It will also be much faster. It has a rear axel that can be unlocked to make driving easier and tire wear much better. The Deere will likely out last the Polaris but I doubt if you will ever wear out either as both of their lives will be long. Don't know if the Deere has the unlocking rear axel. At a sporting tournament you will see all kinds of Rangers but very few if any Deeres.

Both will do the job you are talking about but most prefer the Polaris. Making personal vehicles is Polaris's main business. Deere does many other things well.

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Some good feedback! The diesel appeals to me mostly because it is readily available at the place unlike gas. Plus I have have a young daughter that loves to drive these things and not sure I want it to go to fast. I wonder if you can lock out some thottle on the Ranger?

6. fvtrkyhntr

fvtrkyhntr Member

Get the best of both worlds, a Polaris diesel . Our 2011 has been a great machine so far,30 mph tops and very easy on fuel. Lots of power to pull out the bull moose this past fall. Ken

7. Catpower

The gators axle isn't locked all the time it has a differential lock if you want it

I have friends that have both they are both good machines but in our area nothing holds the resale like a Deere in case you ever want to trade or sell

8. rwtii

rwtii Member

I have a 2010 Ranger 500 HO. It is the single cylinder version. I like the machine a lot. It is one of the few side by sides that I fit in easily. I have had the following problems: Both side panels cracked in the same place where they attach to the frame just behind the seats. It is an obvious design defect. The seat posts broke off also in the front where they go into the snap in receptacle. The new seat has a much stronger design. The side panels were around $100 each. The seat was almost $400. As far as I am concerned, they should have been under warranty. No such luck. The vehicle has never been off of either pavement or gravel paths at sporting clay courses. I shoot on a squad where the other guys have a Deere and a Rhino. No such problems. Nice machine if you don't mind paying for parts now and then.

9. letts

letts TS Member

I do not know which is best, however check the leg room. Some side by sides are a little short when it comes to leg room.

Letts

10. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have a 2012 Polaris Ranger 500EFI. I bought it mainly for shooting sporting clays, but I also use it around the house and for deer hunting. It has been a good machine. I have put very low hours on mine - owned since March with only 15 hours. It is still on it's break-in oil. I hated to pay the money for it, but it reminds of a cell phone.....never knew how I got by without it.

Don't know where you are located at, but google Abernathy's in Union City, Tennessee. They are #1 Polaris dealer in US, and sell cheaper than anyone.

11. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

We have the Yamaha Rhino Sport Version. Outstanding product, no problems.
    I did not want diesel (a drop on shooting clothing is hard to remove). Great
    looks, many compliments at Sporting tournaments.
    Good Luck,
    Gary Owen

12. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

try to fit 3 people in a JD? if you have kids- jd does not have a center seatbelt! POWER STEERING--not amust but-nice!!

13. Robb

Robb Member

Kubota RTV. The others are just souped up golf carts.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Kawasaki Mule, best automatic tranny out there

15. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have 2 Artic Cat Prowlers, a HD 650 & and a HDX 700. Both have been vary dependable machines. The Artic Cats have alot more leg room than most other brands. The pic. is of the 700 with the gun carriers I build installed in the back.

16. Catpower

You can get a bench seat in a Gator at no extra cost

17. oz

oz Active Member

polaris has an optional key (yellow) that cuts speed to (i think) 12 mph. It is an add on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best atv for sporting clays

golf cart clay gun carrier in a forum