1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

looking at a y model 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What is a fair price on a y model 12 in good shape say 95% wood and blueing.
    Or should i look fo a per 1964 dont know much about them just think i need one.

2. Bluedotman

Bluedotman Active Member

I saw a y model sell 1 week ago about 90% to 95% for $750.00. Dan.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A clean Y Model Trap 95% $850.00

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

the Y model is a very good gun. I have had many and the price will vary on condition. The last one I sold was almost unfired with nice wood and sold for $1200 on GB. All model 12's appear to have softened in value recently ( like all guns)

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

75% of a Pre-64? Resale value considerably less around here for a Y model.

I'm a purist when it comes to Winchesters and wouldn't own one. They may be just as good or even superior metalurgically, but they are still a Y model.

6. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

What is different about the Y model?

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

A Y Model Trap in excellent condition should be purchased for less than $800. They are not of interest to collectors and are considered shooting guns only.

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

eightbore, i have a superpigeon trap that has a Y before the serial number & you can take it to the bank that this gun is quite collectible. dwain

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Its considered "collectable" by a far fewer population than a Pre-64.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Guys in my neighborhood don't even consider a y being a model 12, you'll get an ear full if you refer to one as a model 12. LOL Trapshooters are funny.

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The definition of a "Y Model 12" in popular use is a cast receiver Model 12. All post 1968 Model 12s have a Y prefix in the serial number but some are not what most people refer to as Y models and don't have cast receivers. The Super Pigeon mentioned by dbc61451 may have a Y prefix in the serial number, but is not what is normally referred to as a "Y Model". They are forged and milled receiver guns left over from earlier production and were built in the Custom Shop. Thanks for the reminder.

12. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

wasn't the "Y" made in japan under Orlin's ownership of Winchester? Jon

13. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

Hey i also here your lookin at a Puppy!ahahah had to do it Kirk

14. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Jon, No. The Jap M12's are the Browning production guns.

15. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

silver bullet is right!! but if you are gonna shoot it buy a Y heck you aimt never gonn a wear it out

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I like my Model 12's, all Model 12's are great guns just that some are a little better than others ... I prefer the pre 64 Model's but if you are looking for a good shooter a "Y" Model is a good gun also ... There is a big difference in how smooth they are in just closing them, but they are still good shooters and usually have a lot nicer wood on them than the older ones ... I have had many to several Model 12's and the only ones I am holding onto are the pre 64's ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Not only did the M-12 y series have a investment cast receiver, many of the
    small parts were also investment cast. Remember, Winchester was trying to reduce the manufacturing cost of the gun. Is the Y series as good as a
    pre-64 Model 12? No! but that doesn't mean it isn't a good gun.

18. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

When I started shooting in the mid 70's as a junior, I looked to all of the top guns in my area and they either shot Browning Superposed O/U's or Model 12's. Over the years I have owned four M12's, three Y models and one pre 64. I'm obviously in the minority here, but the three Y models I've owned all had much fancier wood and broke targets better than the pre-64. So the Y model is my preference and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in good shape or for a good price.
    The wood on some of these factory standard guns would rival high grade wood in today's market. The Super X model Ones also had some great wood when first introduced in the late 70's.

I often wondered if the Y models impact slightly higher than the pre-64's and this is the reason why I prefer them. I can tell you this, I've found no better choke in any gun than the Winchester Full that exist in the Model 12. Perhaps the pre-64's that are around all feel smoother because they've been used longer and have been shot harder. My well worn Y models are also very smooth in operation. I believe the balance of the Model 12 trap gun has spoiled my shotgun preference for all future purchases. I always look for that balanced feel when I am buying a new gun. Few guns can match the Model 12 in this regard.

Play Dead

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Play dead is right on!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.