1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking at a SX1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

My local gun shop has a SX1 for sale and I'm thinking about buying it. I'm not very familiar with this gun so I’m looking for some tips before I buy.

I hear there were different triggers on various years? How do I tell the difference?

Should I have them drop the trigger group and look at the bolt buffer? Is there anything else in the receiver I should look at?

Anything else you can think of?

Thank you,

Tim

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Clink on the link and read Steve Fischers article. Stage 1 triggers are fine. I wouldn't worry about the bolt buffer because you are going to have to change it anyhow, and maybe the recoil spring. If it's an older one, look for the screw in front of the front bead on the rib. Pull the fore-end off and make sure the barrel lug has not rusted onto the magazine tube, there should also be a gas ring and an o-ring. Pull the trigger group, and look at the back of the bolt to make sure someone hasn't fired it without the buffer. You can look at the buffer at this point, but looks are deceiving, change it no matter what it looks like. Good luck, others will chime in soon.

Wayne

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Triggers are either smooth or grooved. Both work well. Vent rib is attached at the muzzle end, either with a screw or not. No screw is better. Screw end rib is expensive to modify for screw in chokes. Open choked barrels are desireable. I have a couple that are stamped Modified and mic .017, which is great for Sporting Clays. Assume that you will need to replace the buffer. I bought a SX-1 at the local gun show last weekend and while cleaning it up, took out the buffer which looked OK. It crumbled in my fingers. New one on order. These are well made guns. I don't pay cult prices for mine, ususally around $300-$350, based on condition. I'd buy it, if the price is reasonable. Mark

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oregunners hoarding all the$300 guns..figure $650 for good trap models minimum...

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

It may be more difficult to put thin wall chokes into a screw rib gun, I will take your word for it as I have not ever had this done.

But other than that, there is no issue with them. If your gun as the screw rib, pull the screw (might want to soak a bit in Kroil), clean thread and hole, and red locktite that sucker in. It only causes problems when they get loose and the owner keeps shooting it. In that case, you may shear the screw or egg out the hole in the rib.

Red locktite that sucker and you will not have problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.