1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking at a M12 Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kehrby, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I have been wanting a Model 12 Trap gun for awhile. A guy I work with has one he wants to part with. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know the serial number but he says it was made in 1927. I know the basics like looking for tight bolt lockup and notch adjustment in the barrel. How many is too many? Heck my 1939 field gun is on the 3rd notch and its only ever been used for hunting. What should I look for on the rib? If it was sent to Simmons will the proof be covered? I know what a duckbill looks like. Will it be a three pin rib or a round post? And what is the difference there? I know just enough about Model 12s to be dangerous so I would like some help from some guys who know what to look for. By the way he is only asking $650 for it so I don't think I can get in too much trouble. Extra stock is also included. Thanks guys.

Steve

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If it is a factory VR then it will be a 2 pin milled rib. If it's a factory VR, the top of the receiver will have the knurling on it.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The proof mark will be to the side of the rib, if it is factory ribbed Bbl
    even if it is the factory round post ribbed Bbl. And if it has the spade ramp it will also be to the side of the rib.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

best way to cure a want is to go for it, shoot it a while. best of luck

5. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

You have a PM.

6. SB4J

SB4J Member

OK! What is he talking about re: Notch adjustment? 3rd. notch? Please explain. Also; there was some talk about model 12 bore and choke dimensions. Would someone please give the standard factory dimensions. Thank you.

7. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

The notches are in the barrel extentsion and take up the looseness that occurs during normal wear between parts. If the barrel becomes loose there is an adjustment there that tightens things back up. Factory bore and choke dimensions I do not know.

Steve

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

In reference to Dr. Longshot's comment about a round post rib: The only rib that will be original is the two pin rib with knurling on the receiver top. Any other ventilated rib on a 1927 gun will be a retrofit, no matter where the proof marks are. Simmons often applied proof marks in the "proper" position. You can't determine originality 100% by looking at proof marks.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Most of those old Mod. 12s I've seen are ribbed field guns.

I'd bet it's a build up, but that can be OK.

Many of those field guns saw more wear from carrying than firing.

Most all of the field guns I've seen had the proof marks on the top of the barrel.

I've seen some pretty whipped guns for more than 650, so the price is not out of line for a decent gun.

If your still in doubt have someone who knows 12s look at it.

Regards....Gerald

Regards....Gerald

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Still haven't seen the gun but now he says that it was sent back to the factory for the rib installation or thats what he was told. He doesn't know anything about M12s so I still don't know what type of rib it has or anything else for that matter. Hopefully he will bring it in next week.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.