1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

look who dropped in for breakfast at my house

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chipking, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipking

chipking TS Member

Please pardon the poor picture quality. It was taken through a window and storm window in a hurry.

chipking_2008_030396.jpg

chipking_2008_030397.jpg

This young hawk was dining on squirrel tartar in the tree in my back yard while I was eating my oatmeal. Young bird in excellent health what a joy to watch.

Happy New Year

--- Chip King ---

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

That's why they call it camouflage. Hawks are cool. Thanks for the pic.

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I have loved to watch the American Kestrels in my back yard. We moved in 2 years ago and there were only 3. Now on any given day I can spot from 8 to 10 of these birds. They love keeping the mice pop. down and with my new found love of 20ga ground squriel loads I might have a decent garden this spring.

4. Reinz

Reinz Member

Thanks for sharing.

Those are special moments.

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Yup ..we are visited regularly by a young hawk who has a taste for pidgeon that peck around our deer feeder out back

6. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

They too are birds of opportunity. I once witnessed a Red Tailed hawk going after another small hawk that had been dining on small birds at my neighbors feeder. They go where the meal is for sure. Once saw a smaller type of hawk going after a smal bird and he mis judged and hit a tree limb. Rang his bell good. I thought Oh No I will have to capture this injured bird and take him to a nearby rehab center but lo and behold he took off after a few minutes getting himself back together while sittin on top of a large snowdrift. Yes I would have done the right thing and helped it out if needed. Beautiful creatures for sure. Bill

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love animals of all kinds. Amazing creatures

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Damn it I can't stop from sticking this in. It is a hawk think it might be form the bird family. They have feathers. This deer season while in my blind notice a white ball near my blind. It was on a stump. With binoculars found out it was the breast of a red hawk looking at me. One hell of a thick wing and long. It never came back in. Beautiful wish I had a picture of it. Ken U

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, I thought I'd see Leo, Harlan, Dave and Ricky all sitting at the kitchen table....

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Snowy owls have moved to Western Washington from the Arctic - for the winter.

I keep searching.

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

As a quail hunter I have mixed feelings about the tremendous growth in the number of hawks around here - not to mention no quail left to hunt. I am in my mid-60's and have never in my life seen so many hawks. Birds of prey are totally cool, but so is having a covey of quail on the place....

12. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Air Wolves. We're in the same boat as Rebel.

Rod

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I like to watch hawks too, but we have way too many. When we train dogs, the birds are released into our quail grass. They don't even last 1 day. We'll find 5 or 6 doves puff balls everytime we dove hunt. The Kestrals are like heat seeking missles with razors.

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Here is a couple of juvenile Coopers Hawks. Their cap will get dark and eyes will turn red at about 3 years old. They prefer birds to eat, especially doves, but I have seen them take squirrels.

Wayne

wayneo_2008_030319.jpg

wayneo_2008_030339.jpg

15. donegal shooter

donegal shooter Member

[​IMG]

She was here this summer eating the drops off my apple trees on the right.Her fawn was in the tall weeds to the left.That's where she was heading in this photo.This was late August.The dog and I saw her a few mornings ago on our morning walk.

Slainte,Scott

16. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Great targets at long range with 22-250! Tom Rhoads

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Tom, just like shooting a feather pillow. Well, so I've heard anyway.

18. B-Rod

B-Rod Member

ChipKing, It looks like an immature Goshawk... Nice birds as they keep everything in balance. Take care, B-Rod

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.