1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Look what turned up on my driveway

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Have enough guns, decided time to try something else. Time to find something that gets better MPG than my 13MPG Dodge Ram. Magically these turned up on my driveway. How best to carry gun and ammo to shoots with one of these? Thanks, Marc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue one is a 2003 Anniversary Edition Fatboy with FI and 15K miles. Red one is a 1999 with tons of chrome and 6K miles. I may sell one of them but not yet.

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Had a guy that came to our shoots on a bike, gun in a break-down case ammo and other stuff in a range bag strapped to the back seat, seemed to work just fine. Ross Puls

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You know that HD stands for "Hundred Dollars". Motorcycles are like trap shooting, they aren't a cheap hobby. Nice bikes. Mark

4. luvtrapguns

Mark,

I was a HD Dealer in another lifetime (60's and 70's). At that time HD bikes were not the most reliable. Today they are pretty much trouble free although prices for parts and service seem excessive. Fortunately I can do most of my own service. Thanks, Marc

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Marc, I ride a 2002 ElectraGlide Classic. Very reliable, but the motor is still stock. Most problems seem to show up with bikes that have been tweeked. More chrome does make it go faster, though. :) I do strap a gun on the bike occasionally, so this is a shooting related thread. Mark

6. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Back in the 70's I rode a Honda 500 in Hawaii, good to get around on but I left it there when I retired in 1976. Be careful and watch out for the cars because they sure as hell ain't watching for you. I never got hit but had a couple close ones. Woody Sullivan

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Turn one into a trike,be a lot easier transporting ammo and gun then.

Doug H.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Damn!.....I keep hopin' a '67 Chevelle will show up on mine, but I guess I ain't
    livin' right or sumthin' 'cause it hasn't happened yet!!

Ron Burr

9. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Marc, I would like to know also. I ride a Big Dog K9, and have thought of getting one of those Bob Allen/Boyt soft cases and strap it to my sissy bar with the luggage case.

David McMillen

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In my other lifetime as a broke college kid with only a Yamaha 750 for transportation, I rigged up a gun mount to carry my shotgun across the handlebars. Then I would put my shells, vest, raingear and extra warm clothes in a small duffle bag and bungie that to the back seat and away I would go to hunt pheasants in eastern CO. I got a few strange looks going through the towns but never had a problem with the law. (it was 100% legal)

With the kind of $ you have in your bikes, I'm sure you can do better on the rigging but the basics are the same - take only what you need and leave the gadgets at home.

11. luvtrapguns

Oregunner,
    After all the malicious banter lately I made sure it was catagory correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I think both motors are stock except for the aircleaner and pipes on the red one. About the chrome, I agree. We used to say "If it don't go, chrome it". I much prefer the basic look of the Blue one but I will probably put the stock chrome air cleaner back instead of the one shown. Years ago when I was a Harley Dealer I would punch out the 74 CID motors to 96 CID and they would run with most anything. Much faster than todays 96 & 103 CID stock motors and were just as reliable as the stockers back then. Today not much keeps up with the JAP crotch rockets.

ReconDoc, I know exactly what you mean. I stopped riding decades ago after about 200,000 miles just because friends were dropping like flies. Most were caused by negligent 4 wheelers. In a couple of months I will be moving to a much more rural area. I should be able to make it to the Club without stopping for a traffic light.

dhip, would cost about as much as buying a Prius and drive about the same. No critisizm, just not for me.

ljutic73, Christmas is coming, send Santa a note and be good for goodness sake.

Sounds like others would appreciate answers to the same question. If you have pictures I think we would all like to see them. Thanks, Marc

12. biff

biff Active Member

Why is it HD goes to alot of expense and engineering to give as much power and quietness for their big bikes and some knuckle heads(not a HD motor)put loud unbaffled pipes on them. Hell, they got plenty enough power, but all that noise is just obnoxious.
    I asked a HD buddy why and he said safety....People can hear us coming and are more alert to see us!

13. luvtrapguns

biff, I mostly agree about the noise being obnoxious. Your buddy is correct. Many drivers of 4 wheelers simply act like you are not there if you are smaller than a VW. When passing or riding alongside it sure wakes them up. Also a custom exhaust can reduce the bike weight by up to about 40 lbs, and that is a good thing. Marc

14. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

At a place where I worked, on a warm day several employees rode motorcycles to work.

About half Harleys and half Japanese bikes made up the contingent.

The pro-Japanese riders took an oil can and squirted oil under some of the Harleys.

When the Harley riders saw this naturally the were upset and began examining their bikes for oil leaks, while muttering under their breaths. All this to the amusement of the Japanese bike riders.

This went on for a few days until the Harley riders got wise.

The next day some of the Japanese bikes had little piles of rice under them.

That ended the tricks.

15. pdq

pdq Member

How to get to a shoot with a bike along with gun and ammo?

Easy.

Put the bike in the back of your Dodge Ram, and put your gun and ammo in the cab.

Pete

16. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Hi Marc...........go over to my place at the S Dollar...There is a lot of cardboard you can use for under the toys when in your shed......aahhahaha say Hi to the Boy.............DanB

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A buddy of mine welded an outstanding rack off the back seat that holds his breakdown case and shoot bag.

The rack is polished stainless tube and looks like it was custom factory! very nice work.

He says " My two favorite pastimes are Trapshooting and Riding, why not combine the two"!

I'm a bit younger than him. My two favorite pastimes are shooting and #$%ing, I bought an RV with a king sized bed!

18. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Here is mine. Reflectors on front legs have been removed and legs were turned down and chromed. Has stage ll exhaust, Arlen Ness air filter and re-tuned carburetor. Tachometer was added. Grips and all pegs were also changed. Extras are what make it yours. I just finished servicing it myself. Took me nearly all day. I installed a battery maintainer lead to connect so it is always ready to go. Ray

[​IMG]

19. luvtrapguns

Pete, I knew somebody would say that but it's still funny. Marc

20. luvtrapguns

Danny, I figured out how to make sure it does'nt leak. I'll just not put any oil into it. Problem solved. Are you back at the Dollar yet? I plan on doing a lot of shooting there once the season gets started. Marc

Ray, NICE and it's the best color for a Harley. Marc

Shannon391, I'm probably a bit older than him but I have to side with you on this one. Is it against the rules to have three favorite things? Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.