1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Look UNDER the gun ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Birddogfella, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Birddogfella

Birddogfella Member

Last pm our coach dropped a bomb on us. From now on, we addressed the traphouse with our shotguns pointed a COUPLE FEET above the house, our eyes focused under the barrel, waiting for the bird to appear.
    Has anyone ever heard of this method?
    Also, coach said I needed to get a TRAP gun. I shoot a Beretta xcel UGB 25 Sporting gun and have no intention of sinking another 2K$$$ + in a TRAP gun... I am 69 years old and think the coach may have taken leave of his senses for an evening.
    Any comments???
    thanks, ///olde pharte///

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

No,you don`t focus under the barrel. You get your sight picture and watch for the bird. Then you focus on the bird. A new gun? NO But you need one that fits you well. If it ain`t broke,don`t fix it.

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Kay Ohye teaches to hold a high gun, and look under the barrel.

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Didn't Leo preached to look for the bird through the gun barrel with both eyes?

5. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Not a believer in the high gun hold unless the birds are really sailing high due to wind in your face. It slowed down my ability to recognize the birds direction since the barrel was in the way. No biggie if they are going somewhat straight, but hard lefts and rights were tougher on me.

6. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

I'm a two eyed shooter. I hold a high mount and look “through" the gun as Setterman said. Soft focus on the front lip of the house and wait to see which direction the bird goes. Very little gun movement to the target and I can get on the bird very quickly. Honestly, soon as I started this method my scores improved tons. It's not for everyone, but being able to get on bird faster and less gun movement because of the higher mount has changed the game for me. Give it shot for a awhile..

Nick

7. mich746

mich746 Member

I'm with Nick. Two eyes, High gun, little gun movement.

Mich

8. Hookedonshooting

Well he did say a couple feet. Im close to 2' at the 16 yd line, but keep dropping it down on the house when i back up. I also guess a high gun hold helps if you shoot a relatively flat shooting gun, no?

Nick/Mich, what do you do when the birds occassionally come out low? Easier to swing a gun up vs going down.

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

If you shoot with 2 eyes open, then holding a high gun looking "through" the gun makes a lot of sense. Less gun movement to the target. Kind of like holding on the corners for post 1 & 5. Now if you are doing very well pointing at the middle of the trap house for all posts, keep doing it. If you are shooting an O/U there is a few blind spots you need to be aware of.

I am the opposite from MAH66, having the target suddenly appear above the barrel makes me poke at it. Holding a high gun, I watch for the streak, start to move the gun in the direction of the streak, when the target clears the barrel I lock on to it and shoot it.

I disagree with having to get another gun. If you can afford it fine, but beware of the shooter that only has one gun, they usually shoot it very well.

Jason

10. Hookedonshooting

I guess what is the criteria for a "high gun hold"? 2' isnt that high in my book when shooting singles. It is when at the 25 yd line.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think "high" =parallel to the ground at eye level, then you soft focus allowing your eyes to see objects below the barrel to a degree. Dont look so low your sight is obstructed by your hand and arms

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

At 69 years of age, If you are not shooting 2 eyed now, I would not start something new. A good coach should work with you, and fine tune your shooting style whatever it may be. Are you trying out for All American Team, or a spot in the American Olympics? Or just want to improve you your ave.'s a few targets??? Remember to have fun now too. break em all. Jeff

13. Hookedonshooting

ok that makes sense. I watch some shooters hold it 3-4' above the trap house and on days the wind kicks birds down, they shoot over them. And they re shooting 80/20+ guns. Thats what i consider High holds. And the soft focus tip is one of the best tips i ever got.

14. Mxkop

Mxkop Member

Nick_N said it well for me. Although I'm very new to the Trap game my scores went up immediately when I started holding high and looking "through" the gun with a soft focus. I see the bird leave the house quickly and my high hold allows me minimal movement to the bird.

15. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

Birddogfella: I make my sure my “high" mount isn't so high that on occasional low birds I have to drop down to break them, if that makes sense. I also adjust my mount height slightly to the different clubs I shoot and how the machine is throwing birds that day. Don't be afraid to try all kinds of different things if even if that means some bad rounds.. It took me a year to figure out my stance, mount, ect

Nick

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Unless I have a stiff headwind, the only things under my gun are the proofmarks. YMMV

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Roger C. I bet 80%+ of the winners held a parallel (high gun). Perhaps over 90%

If you do not have to, vertical movement is your enemy.

18. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

What MX2G said

Nick

19. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Roger,

There are many high gun "holders" that are in the shootoffs. Leo , I beleive held a high gun. Randy Ross, Harlan , Ray Stafford, Kaye Ohye., all of these , I think hold high guns.

Charlie

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The worst thing that can happen (and often does) is that your non dominant eye picks up the target first and the crossfire begins. If you start at the house or house lip or lower, gun momentum makes the instant to strike the trigger a very short time. See the target when it is. It is not a target during its emergence.

miketmx thanked this.
Search tags for this page
look through the gun trap
looking through the barrel high gun hold
ron sutton trap shooting high gun hold

vertical gun movement when shooting handicap trap