1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Look under or over the barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoke-um, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Do more shooters look under the barrel or over the barrel which is better do high rib guns make it harder to look under the barrel do you need a flatter shooting gun for under the barrel shooting?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Around/through it, WITH BOTH EYES... you really shouldn't even see it.

Has nothing to do with POI or "flatter".

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

No, No, NO!. If you crossfire look over the bbl. Wait for it to appear over the bbl. Harlan says that generically.I say it from a crossfire standpoint.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I was having a bad time cross firing when looking around the barrel. I have found, for me, holding a high gun works best. As mentioned above, I still look around the barrel but will not commit to the target until it clears the barrel (vertically). On all stations I hold my gun so as to not block my vision of the bird as it comes out of the house. I look alongside the barrel, not under it. This has all but eliminated my crossfire problem. Even though I am waiting longer for the target many people have commented on how close in I break the bird. I tried holding the gun down on the house but that did not work for me. For the first time since my return to trapshooting I feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. My scores are increasing dramatically as is my confidence. Marc

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I'm right handed, I look under the barrel with my left eye and over the barrel with my right eye. HMB

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Whiz, I guess we are the odd ones, I usually don't see mine either. When I do, I also hear that awful 4 letter word "LOST." J.W.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

"focus", "look", and "see" are 3 completely different aspects of vision when shooting trap target. Eyes cannot continuously focus on a 44 mph target from the time it leaves the house to the kill zone.

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Your eyes better continuously focus on every target until the trigger is pulled. That is unless you like hearing "LOST". And the speed of a target has no bearinmg on eye focus. Lock on the target with your eyes and complete focus and the gun will go where it needs to go. Try it and see. If you see your barrels or a gap between your barrels and the target you are not focusing on the target like you need to. Most times when a gap is seen that is where the shot goes as well. In the gap or in front of the target. Eyes and focus are really what clay target sports are about. It is 90% mental.

9. canada

canada Member

I agree with the posters that say to look through the barrel, or around it. If I just watch other peoples birds, I see them fine. I'm not looking way up in the air, or focusing on the lip of the trap house or anything like that, I'm just sort of looking out in front of the trap somewhere, around where it appears. This would mean looking around the barrel, and focusing on the target once it appears.

As for seeing the barrel, I see my bird bead relationship every shot. I don't think it's a bad thing to see your barrel or bead, just don't stare at it. I think you see it with your peripheral vision. If you don't know where the barrel is in relation to the bird, you can't tell where you have missed, or where you are on the target. That's my way of thinking.

Pat Lamont

10. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

When I was younger and had good eyesight I used to look at the bird but also at the bead, and had a good bird-bead relationship. May have focused quite alot on the bead. Might have looked thru the bead to the target. My style was much different then than now...I leaned into the shot much more, probably relying more on agility and youth. As you get older, I think most of us have to make adjustments. I shoot a very straight-up style now. I look over the barrel out into the distance. I try to get the most out of my vision by keeping my head in a as close to natural position as can be, not looking thru the tops of my eyes.
    I try to keep my primary focus off the barrel completely, once the gun is mounted and I know the beads are lined up. Just look at the target, and let it clear the barrel, make a smooth move to it and smoke it. puablo

11. JTEA

JTEA Member

Keep your head locked onto the stock and look through the barrel. A high rib helps me see better. Try shooting without a front bead some time. The only time to look at the bead is a quick check to ensure you have mounted correctly - way before you call. If that's not happening your gun may not fit so that it's shooting where you're looking.

JT

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Through the barrel(s) on single bird events but over the barrel for trapping the first bird of doubles. Basically ditto Whizzer.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I agree with Whiz.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

BAD 303, you can not focus on a bird coming out of the house and maintain that focus through your shot. Your eye's simply can't adjust that fast. Somewhere you'll see a blur or streak. You may pick up a visual of the target out of the house, but you won't focus on it till it has cleared your barrel.

Leo teaches the "look through the barrel method". Hoppe teaches to be prepared to focus on the target above the barrel. To each his own. Use what works best, but the target appears to be going much slower once you get a locked focus on it. Tough to do while looking thru the barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

looking under barrel or over barrel

trap shooting-looking under the barrel