1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rip12, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Hogdon Website
  2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Oct 16, 2006
    This powder is ridiculously hot. I have found that I get better patterns with WSF.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Loading Longshot on the light side is like putting glass pack mufflers on a straight six. Lotsa noise with little go power! It's a great powder for what it was intended for, but I've had some inconsistant results with light loads. Certainly not too good for cold weather when loaded light. I'd rather use it for the smaller guages and heavier 12ga loads and use a more appropriate powder for my target loads. WSF is not nearly as slow and works well when loaded down under 1300 fps with 1 1/8 oz. WSF is still loud though. I have one load with WSF that is very consistent at around 1250 fps. I just prefer a load somewhere around 1200, but will use the WSF load for the back fence on occasion.

It is nice to know you could send 1 1/8 oz of lead shot out of a 12 ga bore at 1585 fps with Longshot! I don't exactly feel the need at this moment though. I did use HS-7 quite a bit for the heavier loads some years ago. I still have some left, but it's been discontinued. It was a bit lower in pressures than Longshot in many loads at similar velocities.
  4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Save it for your 28 ga.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

longshot powder loud