1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longshot Powder Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Timbob44, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Hey All, I just got 2 pounds Longshot powder for my birthday. I know it is good for back porch shooting and have used it well from far distances. But was wondering if anyone has worked up a 1 oz load with this stuff. For 12 gauge. If so would like to try them. Thanks, Tim

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yup. just add 2gn & Federal 209A primer to your 1-1/8oz recipe and you'll keep low pressure, get a good burn & no clinkers and 100+ more fps.

But ... you can have some seriously unintended consequences, too ... unless you are using a very 'structural' wad, like the Gulandi or B&P, your patterns can go to hell in a handbasket.

The whole Longshot experience is almost like different physics: plated shot is better ... for one gun but not another, you have NO idea what chokes will/won't do until you test them, adding a styrofoam or felt cushion under the shot makes a lot of difference, etc.

Longshot is ... different.

Bob

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I don't know about 1 oz. loads, but I tried some Long Shot stompers today for the first time on the sporting clays course.

I had 1/2 a lb. left over from a 28 ga. experiment. That didn't work out, so I tried some really stiff 1 1/8 and a few 1 1/4 oz loads.

Holy sh!t.

I was smashing the snot out of 60 yard targets. As in completely disappeared and vaporized from the sky.

I may buy another pound just for *specialty* target loads. I would like to try these with nickle plated shot at the next flyer shoot.

4. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

sevenmarythree

"true story" Longshot will make you totally rethink what is possible with a shotgun and a clay target.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would strongly caution against trying "reduced" loads with Longshot powder. It is not an appropriate powder for 1oz loads either, unless you have valid data to support it. There were several discussions on this forum in the past about cautions with reduced loads and Longshot powder. My recommendation would be to contact the manufacturer (Hodgdon) and ask them for advice.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Quack Shot is absolutely correct. 'Slow' Powders have different rules.

A couple of years ago, I started working with Hodgdon to try to get personal 'light' Bismuth loads: 24g & 15/16 to shoot in my Brit SxS. (Bismuth is another law unto itself, BTW.)

Once Hodgdon was comfortable I was not insane, they were very helpful: the biggest issue with Longshot is not to let pressure drop below 8500, or so, and you do that by having + powder and plenty of fire.

LS has a pretty gentle pressure curve, so it's good in the 'development' of off-book loads, but it is NOT without it's kinks & quirks.

Bob

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have never seen any 1 Oz Longshot Loads for 12 Gauge, I just looked at my Hodgdon Reloading Book.

I have loaded 24+ lbs of this powder that is 3 8 lb kegs
    I love this powder up to 1600+Fps shells.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. ABH

ABH Member

Timbo,

I use Longshot for 7/8oz loads in my 20ga.Great for trap or sporting clays.It's a little heavy for skeet though. ( WARNING; Do not leave Longshot in your reloader for extended periods of time. )Longshot will distroy the plastic powder hopper of your reloader.Empty the powder hopper as soon as you are finished reloading your shells.Do this after every reloading session when using Longshot.

ART H.

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

TIMBOB44:

Powders are developed by manufacturers for specific applications. Some powders have a wider range of applications than others but NO powder is good for everything. Manufacturers are always the best source of information. Following is slightly edited copy clipped from Hodgdon's website. I capitalized some text for emphasis.

"This spherical powder is the most versatile shotshell HEAVY FIELD PROPELLANT Hodgdon has ever produced. Great loads in 10 ga., 12 ga., 16 ga., 20 ga., and 28 ga. are shown in Hodgdon’s Reloading Data Center. This propellant provides TRUE MAGNUM VELOCITIES with superb patterns. In addition, Longshot is the BEST CHOICE FOR... SHOOTING GAMES such as "Buddy", "Annie Oakleys"...

'Heavy field propellant, true magnum velocities and, best choice for shooting games' is about as far from a one ounce 12 gauge target load as life gets. Hodgdon doesn't list 12 ga. one ounce Longshot loads in their data. There's a reason.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
long shot powder load data
longshot load data

longshot powder

longshot powder data

longshot powder for 12 gauge data

longshot powder loads

longshot powder recipes
longshot powder review