1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longshot powder dirty?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hadjii, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadjii

hadjii TS Member

I just tried some of my first handloads I loaded for my 28 ga. Franchi. I used 15.0 grains of Longshot with a BPI SG28II wad and 3/4 oz of no. 9 shot. I shot 4 starlings, and when I looked down the barrel, it sure looked dirty to me, or rather, it almost lookked like I got an incomplete burn from the powder. Can someone tell me if Longshot is a dirty powder, or is my load not what it should be? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Gary Schoborg

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Gary,

Longshot isn't Clays. It always leaves a few flakes in the barrel. Very effeciet powder though. If you wnat something a little cleaner try Universal Clays.

ec90t

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is not the cleanest powder buy I would not say it is terribly dirty either. I shoot quite a bit of it

4. lofat2

lofat2 TS Member

Gary,
    Longshot is a little dirty but is much easier on your hulls than Universal, (less burnt up or charred) & you know how hard it is to get 28ga hulls, so you want as many reloads as you can get. I shoot it in my K-80 & one pass w/ a bore snake makes it look like its never been shot.

5. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

What would you guys recommend for a clean 28 ga powder? 20/28 says "extreemly clean". Thanx, Billy

6. hadjii

hadjii TS Member

Thanks for the input people. I have reloaded rifle ammo for about 25 years, but it's been at least 10 years since I've reloaded shotshells, so basically I'm starting over again, so anything I can learn is a good thing. Thanks again.

Regards, Gary Schoborg

7. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

anyone try the 20\28 from alliant.

8. abby748

abby748 TS Member

Just tried the 20/28 from alliant. Shot some 20's and some 28's using the reloaders guide on alliants web-site. Crisp shooting, some residue however.

9. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

Used longshot on some once fired nitro hulls. The hulls still looked once fired after shooting, but the barrel was a mess. Cleaned right up with a snake.

10. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I have been using 20/28 for a couple of years in 28ga. I used to use longshot, it shoots good , 7625 shoots good but a little grainy, HS6 is really dirty. 20/28 is about the cleanest I have found for 28ga. I load 13.4 gr AAHS hull Fed28S1 wad.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I've never shot a slow burning powder that wasnt a bit dirty, but then again maybe I havent tried them all. Try 4756 if you can find it.

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I just can't seem to grasp this fetish people have with powder "cleanliness." I have never found a powder, and I've tried a LOT of them, that does not leave some residue or coating in the barrel. Nor have I ever found a powder residue that remains after normal cleaning. That said, I believe LongShot is one of the very best for the 20 & 28ga guns as it is more forgiving pressure-wise, and is far easier on hulls. BTW...20/28 works very well in my BPS 20 with 15.5gr pushing 7/8oz.

AndyH

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Andy44

Probably the biggest issue is if they shoot a gas-operated semi-auto. Powders that leave less residue, or finer residue are probably preferable to powders that leave lots of flakes.

With break action guns, its a non-issue.

Just my opinion.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

No slow burning powder I've EVER shot was very clean.. From Alcan 8 to Longshot and Herco .. It's just the nature of the beast.. But I will say.. The closer you can get the pressure to over 9000 psi.. the cleaner it will burn..

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It is more of an issue with a gas operated auto. I love my Remingtons but they don't like dirty powder. Not too much of an issue with longshot since it is only used in my 20 with heavy loads which cycle the gun clean or dirty. I prefer universal or unique with the 20 both much cleaner. They advertise 20/28 as a clean powder but I have never seen it available where I buy my powder. Might be a very good choice for a clean powder in a 28.

16. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

I need a load for 28 ga using ALcan 8 3/4 oz Help please

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

longshot powder leaving residue