1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longshot Porch Load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Robb, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robb

Robb Member

Not finding much data for what I have on hand. STS case and primer, AA Red or SP12 wad for 1 1/4. Any tips. Want fastest that is safe.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Robb,

Anything faster than 1330 FPS you're wasting your time. Pattern degridation is grately accellerated at speeds above this. With all that being said, a lot of 1 1/4 oz recipies exist on both Hodgdon's and Alliant's website. Just look up the reciepies in the reloading data part of their websties.

I shoot games at least 3 nights a week, and find no reason to shoot anything more than 1 1/8th oz loads. The heavy recoil of the 1 1/4 oz loads will begin to work on you over time. Trying to cure that kind of flinch is a very hard thing to do.

ec90t

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you haven't visited Hodgdon's website with reloading data, do.

If you have, and can't find what you need, call them.

I briefly scanned their data, and didn't see any Longshot loads with an SP12 wad until you got to 1-3/8 ounces.

4. Robb

Robb Member

I saw the SP12 load and would assume 11/4 would be ok with same charge. Agreed?

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Not necessarily, lighter shot charge could change burn rate. On anything heavy, stick to established data. JMHO

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Is Dr. Longshot in?? Any advice for Robb?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Robb,

The SP12 wad is made for bulky (Herco, Blue Dot, etc.) powders. The RP12 is the desired wad for 1 1/4 oz recipies using Longshot. The use of an SP12 wad with Longshot and 1 1/4 oz recipies will result in an overly deep crimp.

ec90t

8. deking00

deking00 Member

I used this load with good results:

STS Hull, 1 1/4 oz., Rem. 209P, WAA12F114, 27.1gr. Longshot, 10,600psi, 1330fps

9. Robb

Robb Member

From the Longshot bottle. AA case, STS primer, SP12 wad and 32.2 gr. for 11/4oz. 1440fps. My bushing droped 34gr and I have STS case. What do you think? I realize that is too much powder but until I get another bushing it is 34 or 30 grains.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Robb, Load the 30 grains... It isn't going to matter anyway. I have shot games for years and many of the most consistant winners don't shot anything faster then 1250 and 1 1/8 of hard #6 shot. I have never patterned a load other then steel that gave a good pattern at 55 yards going over 1300 FPS. Speed kills... Patterns and your shoulder. If you really want speed, shoot an ounce of #5 shot at 1300. The recoil won't kill you and the energy of just 1 #5 will break the bird at way long range. Jeff

11. elmo

elmo Member

I could not get the hodgon website to work correctly. I called them and they e-mailed the info I needed in just a couple of minutes.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Getting specific load data advice from other posters on a website is dubious.

I stand by my post, above. I'd call Hodgdon and ask them. They make the powder. They test the loads.

Personally, I wouldn't use any load that's not on the published tables.

That being said, its your gun, your shoulder, and your life. You can do what you want regardless of what we think.

What SuperXJeff said makes sense.

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Robb, You can do a search of this site on the subject at hand and come up with an unlimited amount of load data. You can also get Tom Rosters book on buffered loads.Also copper plated lead shot will hold a tighter pattern at long range.Do the search and all of your questions will be answered. PJ

14. Robb

Robb Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I always use published loads but in this case I don't have the right stuff. If I stick with Longshot I will get correct materials. I understand this is not the place for max load info but the manuals don't always show everything. I have always interchanged data for Rem and AA hulls without problem but manuals don't see it that way. Thanks again and be assured I'm very careful.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

29 grains Longshot, 1 1/4 #4, Fed brown wad, STS Hull, Fed 209 primer

16. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Just curious, does anyone else have trouble with long shot sticking to the plastic powder container on their loader? Not talking about static electricity, but some kind of chemical reaction with the plastic. Thanks Ben

17. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

STS hulls and porch loads I was using 32 gr. Winchester primer, CB1114 or CB1138 both with 1 1/4 oz. of #6. They run right at 1,345 fps.

But, they do kick your butt after a while and for that reason I'm backing mine off.

ec90t is also right. You'll be a flinching S.O.B., not to mention blowing out your pattern, which are both another reason I'm backing off.

30 gr. down to 28 gr. are more managable and 1 1/8 oz. is plenty of lead. There is a lot of difference from 28-30 grains.

6's seem to shoot flatter. 4's & 5's you have large holes in any pattern that you are trying to maintain.

But then again, I've also seen guys that drop 34-37 grains of Longshot with 1 1/4- 1 3/8 lead, throw a 3 foot flame out their barrel, chip a target and walk around with a boner. They usually don't make it to the cash and they couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a mop after they're done on 10 bird targets.

18. Robb

Robb Member

Shot a few 34 grainers today and that is too much. Damn fast though. Meters like crap in my single stage, too fluffy I guess. Thanks for the help.

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Robb,

I'll give you my pet recipe.

STS hull

Winchester 209 primer

28.5 grains Longshot

Fig 8 wad

1 1/8 oz of 6's

This load will clock in around 1330 FPS and will break'em as far as you can see them. This load is very effective and won't punish you every time you pull the trigger. I only use this load on back-ups. I still use a 3dram shell for call birds until we get back to the 30yd line.

ec90t

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Buy the Nitro27 sporting clay load in 7 1/2. They are 1325 to 1350. Last porch shoot I shot I went 5 for 5 and a win.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting porch loads