1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longshot Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhoward, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

There was a thread a few days ago asking about Longshot powder. I'd never looked at the loading data for it before. 1585 fps 1 1/8 loads and almost 1500 fps with 1 1/4 loads?! I would imagine the recoil is pretty stiff, but how do they pattern? Has anyone tried these loads?

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

That 1 1/4oz load is a real screamer. A bit on the loud side & really reaches out to slap 'em!

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Soft recoiling powder considering the velocity. Best for the games and hunting! Patterns are very good with Downrange Versalite and 12F3s.

AndyH

4. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Thats what it was designed for,a bit dirty but gets the job done,most guys that shoot protectors(buddy shoots) use 32gr with 1-1/4 oz #6.I have loaded and shot some of the 1500 fps never chrony'd them,but they are hot!

5. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I loaded gun club hulls,CCIm primers, 32.5 grains of longshot,12-sl rem. wads,1 1/4 0z of 4 shot. Through my chrono averaged 1545 fps.But the patterns are terrible. I will slow it down to 1400 fps next time.

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I agree with sprinklerman,this powder is very versatile and useful but it does blow patterns much over 1400 fps.

7. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I use it for OAKLEY'S. NO more than 30 grains for 1 1/4 oz. Half the guys do the same and it's FUNNY......after 10 or 20 shots ...most everyone is flinching. I only use it in the Winter...with lots of padding. PB and Unique are MUCH soffter. As far as patterns go, never patterned it , but someone that used to shot Oakley's (starts at 30 yds...shoot-off at 60 yds), stated he patterned all of them at that distance and "THERE ARE HOLES EVERYWHERE". Guess that's the reason for 6's and 4's ...only takes a few to break a bird. I have won a few OAKLEY's with it though ..anywhere from a modified to a light full choke. Sometimes I mix 4's/6's and 7 1/2's in the recipe. It does REACH OUT AND GET THERE....but I don't think you would want to see the pattern.Speed Kills?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

loading data for longshot hunting loads

longshot trap loads