1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longshot Load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OregonDon, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Any Longshot loads I see are for very high vellocities, are there any recipes for approx 1300 FPS using LS & 11/8 of shot? TIA, Don

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Not really. Not any 'book' loads anyhow. You can download it a teeny and drop into the mid-13s, but there are a lot better powders to make 1300 w/1-1/8.

I've dropped them down, but the patterns can get a little squirrley.

Bob

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There have been some very strong warnings against reducing listed loads for Longshot powder. It would be wise to select a different powder like Herco, WST, Unique, Universal Clays, etc for the loads you described at 1300 fps. PerazziBigBore (Mike) has some background with this powder and could tell you more. He was warned by Hodgdon that it was a potentially dangerous practice to significantly reduce Longshot loads. My call to them resulted in the same type of warnings. I did not test the theory and use the appropriate powder for the loads I wanted to load.

4. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I would also warn against reducing the powder charge of longshot. Just the other day I tried a new load with longshot trying to achieve the 1300 fps
    1 1/8oz load that you are looking for.

the books recommendation for 1420fps
    31.9gr longshot 1 1/8oz
    rem. primer windjammer wad
    AA hull

What I tried for 1300fps:
    30.0gr longshot 1 1/8oz
    rem. primer windjammer wad
    AA hull

these lighter loads resulted large flashing "firballs" leaving the barrel and major pressure escape in the breech area that I could actually feel on my face. I hand loaded 5 of these shells and they all had the same reaction. I shoot a ljutic that locks up solid and has no porting. I came home that night and loaded the same load with the recommended powder charge and shot them in the back yard. The recommended load worked fine. no explosive "fireballs" and no pressure escape. I havent quite figured out why a reduced load would have these effects but ask the guys I shoot with, they're still trying to grow the hair back that these shells burnt off ;) just kidding. hope I could help BYG

5. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Thanks to all who responded, Don

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am not a Longshot fan ( toomuch recoil) but I load 29-31 grns in 1 1/4 oz loads in paper shells for live pigeons at the dairy farms where we shoot them and they really will reach out and they are fast. Pigeons can move fast so speed helps.

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Recently chronographed some 30gr LS loads in STS hulls with 1 1/8oz shot that went an amazing 1667 fps!!!! I trusted the guy who loaded them, as he is very conscientious, but that speed is scary! I thought my chrono was off, so I tried a "factory" 3 dram, 1 1/8oz load and it chrono'ed at 1233 fps. Maybe it was the 100+ degree weather, I don't know. I will check into this further to see just what the problem is. I have shot many loads using LS at up to 34gr, with no issues other than a lot of fun (and NOISE)!

AndyH ;-)

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I load 30.5 grains Longshot in AA hull w/rio primer windjammer wad 1 1/8th oz #6s
    these are about 1390-1400 fps 7800psi, would not go any lower.

29.4 grs with Fed 209 primer, AA hull AA wad 1 1/8th oz =1420 in STS hull out of the book 10,900 psi.if you use a Rem 209 primer you drop psi 1000lbs to 9300 psi.

My pet load is 32.5 Longshot Windjammer wad, Rio Primer 1 1/8th oz #6s in a
    Activ Hull, it is easy to spot the shoot-off shells, 1475 Fps.

You can shoot this same load w/ 1 1/4 oz shot still 1475 for really long shots
    to 80+ yards w/6s or 5s.

I have shot 24 + Lbs of Longshot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I've only loaded recommended loads with LS in Shotgun. I also tried it in my 9mm. I noticed that anything less than max load in my Sig 226 resulted in alot of unburned powder and Failures to fully operate the slide, probably due to low pressure. This powder in my opinion should only be used where it's intended, Magnum loads. I have used WSF for 1300 1 1/8 loads with very good results. Can't recall the exact charge. Just look it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.