1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longrange Trapkey Impressions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by todd farris, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Does your club use the Trapkey system? What are your thoughts on it? Pros and cons?

Todd Farris

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

? HMB

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I used one at a club a few weeks ago. It is pretty simple to use and it worked well.

4. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

They are in use at the Lincoln Trap & Skeet Club in Lincoln Nebraska.

They work GREAT - cut the club target loss by a huge margin - in fact the system paid for itself in less than a year.

LT&S gives members a key that they "keep". (it is still club property, but the member gets to keep it in their control.) These keys are "count down" keys - you put rounds on they key and they are removed from the key one at a time when you put the key in a box at the range and push a button. (Note that I am referring to a round as a box of shells - not one shell)

Non members are handled a couple of ways. For one time - one box shooters, an employee goes out and puts the targets on the range for them. If they want to shoot more or don't know how much they will shoot, they are given a "count up" key in exchange for their drivers license - and when they are done they come in to return the key (remember the license) and pay for the number of rounds they shot.

There are a number of nice things that you get.

You can put rounds onto a key and come and go to the club - without need to go in and pay every time. You decide how many rounds you want to buy - some do it as they shoot - others buy enough for a month or more.

The units can be set to throw targets with a fixed 1-6 second delay after the button press - I do this regularly, as I am at the club at odd hours and often shoot alone - 3 seconds is what about every one uses as a delay. This might not seem like a useful thing, but I use it for skeet training - and I have now totally trained my self to stop moving my gun on my call - I now see the target before I move. (we have voice calls for trap - so the delay is not normally used there - but the system still controls the number of targets)

I understand that they are now also providing international skeet random timing for targets. The puller presses the button as you call and the system provides the random delay.

The club gets to decide how many targets are added to the range counter for each key insertion/button press. If you have breakage problems you can provide 27, 28 or what ever you want - LT&S currently put on 26. The shooters are told that a round is 25, and asked not to "shoot up" the extras. In the rare case that they have breakage that shorts them an employee can add as needed. We have a great bunch of members, and even at only one extra per round there get to be quite a few "extras" - employees and BOD members carry "reset" keys that remove ALL targets from a range - just to help remove the temptation to shoot that "free" round.

OMG - I am writing a book here - time to take the wife out for supper (keep her buttered up for when we need to stop in and buy reloading supplies).

If you want more information, PM me and I can get you in touch with our club manager - I know that he would be glad to talk to you about this system - it has made money for our club by cutting loss.

John

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

They work very well. Cold winter temperatures not a problem from what I've seen.

One con is if your club has machines that act up and throw broken targets. They will either have to be fixed or replaced. Yes, clubs should not have machines that throw broken targets, but...

If used on a sporting clays course, suggest shooters be provided the club phone number (score sheet) so they can call on there cell if a machine is not working properly.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

One problem there is with all these systems is that the industry has not developed a standard.

Canterbury voice activation has emerged as the dominant product, and works very adequately.

Our club purchased a token setup and the company was out of business before we got the bugs out of the first set. The jproject has been abandoned.

If you look at the history there are quite a few players gone at this point, and none of the remainder has emerged as the standard.

HM

7. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

HalfMile

We use the Longrange key system WITH our Canterbuty voice calls.

The key system was purchased after I joined the club, but before I was on the BOD so I do not know what other systems were considered - but I can tell you that LT&S is VERY pleased with the system.

The longrange system only controls the number of targets that can be thown - the voice system is in charge of launch.

John

8. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

If your range uses the Longrange Trapkey system, I would like to know. My club is entertaining the idea of utilitizing the system but we would like some real world feedback on how well they work.

thanks
    todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.