1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longest break from trap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fordfan347, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fordfan347

fordfan347 Member

Just curious what's the longest break you have taken,and how long after you started back did it take to pick up where you left off. It's been over 5 years for me and I'm getting the itch to start back.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wait another two years...it will pass.

3. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

17yrs.......Shot 1973 to 1978..........quit till 1995.........Took about a full season to get back up to speed...........Jerry..whadda ya know....its 17yrs shooting again..............LOL

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I took a 30 year hiatus. Started back 2010. Not yet back to breaking targets like in the past but it feels pretty good and getting better. Marc

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I took a week off once. It about killed me so I started back up. ;-)

Hauxfan!

6. lostandout

lostandout Member

25 years off not as easy as it once was

brian

7. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

32 years off. Still looking for a gun I am happy with. Singles came back easily... really struggling to get back to form in doubles and Hdcp.

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Mac you have a long time yet. One of the best shooters at one of the local clubs is in his early eighties, many others in 70's. Bill

9. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

23 years. Nothing that I used then fit/worked now. It was like starting over. Took all this year and now am starting to get consistent

10. gcessna

gcessna Member

47 yrs. I my father got my brother and I shooting. I was 8 and my brother 9. We shot untill I was 16, 1964. I started shooting again last Fall and got my brother shooting again this summer. We had an Acme reloader. The guns now hardly have any recoil. My reloader is amazing how fast I can reload. It is a great sport. A person can shoot as long as the eyes and legs hold out.

Gary Cessna

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

One year, when my Dad passed away. I took him to every shoot I could, even when he reached 100. Took a couple months to get back to where I "was" (I haven't shot as well since).

12. schneep

schneep Member

1975 until this year. oops guess I'm getting old!!

Back to breaking 22-24 working on getting better

13. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

21 years absent...only shot clay targets 1 1/2 years before having to drop out previously....then the Texas economy tanked.

Took 6/7 months to find/buy guns and get the stocks and combs fitted this time. However I shoot skeet and trap...trying to bring both games up to par at the same time. Back to 50 straight pretty often on trap and 48/49's are fairly common in skeet (which I shoot 28 and .410 guns only)...

I have just purchased a 12 gauge Skeet gun with Briley tubes that will be here Wednesday....mostly to try more weight, seems to smooth my swing. Still will shoot 28/.410 only in all 4 classes.

Took 9 months to get here..progressing rapidly now that I finally have my equipment in order. I think a couple more months and I'll be leveled out.

The best part is the days spent at the club...life is good...and so is the company.

Happy trails..Stan

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Took the last 2 years off, went to the club last week and ran the first 25, then 23 from the handicap.

Gun moves were a little rusty as I caught the back end of a few, but smoked the majority.

I would like to jump back in to ATA, but shell prices and other costs might make me wait to see what next year brings.

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I was out of it from 1989 till 2007. I did shoot quite a bit of sporting clays in the mean time. But back into trap now.

16. oz

oz Active Member

I quit.

17. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

25 years.

The first time did not even know there was any formal competition associated with trap. Thought it was just something that people did locally, like softball. My wife and I just shot trap in a local summer league with some of her co-workers. I used a 26-inch barreled Winchester 101 with IC/M chokes. Was told that it was a Trap gun since it was an over/under. My wife used a pump action High Standard with a shortened stock. Loaded our ammo on a MEC Junior using WW 452AA in AA hulls. We had a great time socializing.

Now, it is a totally different story. Krieghoffs, Perazzis, Spolar loading machine, ATA, Spring Grand, clinics, punches, # 7½ vs # 8’s...

18. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

1973 - 2010 If it wasn't for a grandson wanting to get started shooting I may have never started back. Used up a bunch of old powder and primers that I kept in the basement all those years. Never had a problem with any of them.

19. plux001

plux001 Member

My longest break was from 56 yards....but I had an ounce and a quarter load of #6's and some longshot pushing it......

Paul

20. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I shot from 1966 to 1972 and then took a break. Resumed in the fall of 1990. Shot very well and was very competitive AA-27-AA until I hit 69 years of age (2009), Now all I can hit is singles and doubles. My handicap has abandoned me for the present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.