1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Longbird load?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bkms, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkms

bkms Member

I have been shooting some fun shoots lately that include a longbird. Best score of ten wins. I was wondering if any of you would share a good load for such? The trap is usually set at 40 yards downhill (about four feet below your feet) and by the time you say pull and find it, its 50-60 yards and climbing fast and going further out. I am looking for a load with STS/Nitro or old style AA hulls since thats the only empties i have. Also, what choke would yall shoot? Thanks for any info. Bob.....

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My back-up and 3 long “games” loads are the same. I use a pigeon load (3 1/4 dram equivalent and 1 1/4 oz of shot) of hard size 6 shot. The velocity is 1220 fps. This speed works for me but I know of others who use a faster load.
    Take a look at the Alliant web site under STS hulls, Remington 209P primer, Remington SP12 wad (or Winchester WAA12114 wad) and Herco powder. You will find loads for 1220 fps and 1275 fps. The recoil with the 1220 fps load is not bad but it is a little stout at 1275 fps.

I used to use heavier loads of shot at higher speed but the recoil was just not worth it. IMO, a load of 1 1/4 oz. of size 6 shot at 1150 fps to 1220 fps will break any target in any weather at any distance.

You would be surprised at how far a 2 ¾ - 1 1/8 – 7 ½ load will break targets in the summertime.

Remember to hold under a falling target.

Good luck.

3. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I use a Nitro 27 hull, 1 1/8 oz. of 6's, Spolar wad (Windjammer type wad) 32 grains of longshot, and a winchester primer. This is a book load and it is at the min. powder charge 1420 fps 8,700 psi. I shoot a BT99 with a full choke and use this load for up to 40 yards behind the trap house for 1st to 3rd man shots.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

28 grains of Longshot, yellow Winchester wad and 1 1/4 of mag 6's work pretty well for me from 50+ yards behind the traphouse. A good choke doesnt hurt either.

5. straycat

straycat TS Member

28.5 gr Longshot, Rem hull,fig 8 wad, win 209 and 1 1\8 oz 7 or 6's. Way below book load,will breakem if ya can see'm. I use a fixed full choke.

Straycat

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

BKMS....does the name Weir Stone mean anything to you?

I watched some guys shooting at Weir's place this summer and was amazed at the distance that the shoot-off was shot at. I took my laser range finder to it and it was 41 yds to the BACK OF THE TRAP HOUSE. Figure another 3 yds to the trap and you are 44 yds behind the trap. Targets were being broken at 65 to 70 yds!

I asked one of these guys what he was shooting, and he said 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2s.....;)

I make it a point not to call a man a liar when he has a shotgun in his hand, so I said "oh my" and walked off.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Breaking a clay target, even semi-consistently, that is 70+ yards away (I shoot Annie's a lot) requires lots of shot and lots of choke. The less shot/choke you use, the more that luck comes into play.

I use either a 1 3/8oz of #6 @ 1330fps (Remington Nitro Pheasant) or 1 1/4oz of #7 1/2 (Remington Pigeon) at about the same speed. At these distances, payload is far more important than velocity...FAR more.
    As shooter said, you won't break them all; the patterns are just too thin, but you might break half of them if you point it right.
    I use a Briley Extra Full tube when I shoot these.

Shooting very long targets can be great fun, and lots of shooters at the clubs here specialize in these games, developing loads just for them. I've heard rumors (just rumors, mind you!) of 1 1/2oz/#5 buffered loads, and I can believe it. :)

Don't underestimate the power of payload at long yardages. At 10 yards, a 1/2oz load will pulverize a clay just as well as 1 1/8oz. The further out the target gets, the more you need additional shot to fill out the pattern. Simple physics.
    Have fun!!!

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Straycat,

Have you been peeking into my reloading book? Lol. Try the same load and substitute a Remington 209 for the Winchester 209. This will soften the recoil up a slight bit and not effect the performance.

ec90t

9. bill1269

bill1269 TS Member

Federal gold medal hull 26.5 grains 7625 remington rp-12 wad and 1 1/2 once of #6 . Not the fastest load,chrony say's 1160 but it breaks every bird on 50 yard shot off if you do your part.

10. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

What load do you guys use if your 4th or 5th shooter down the line? Bump those 6s up to 4s and you might be the last gun standing. GOOD LUCK

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

M R Ducks

The science is interesting but small size shot looses velocity at a greater rate than large shot. Some “old boys” where I shoot load over 2 oz. of size 2 shot and a very light load of Herco and break targets from over 60 yards behind the house. The load sounds like a cap pistol but it works.

If a Remington game load of size 7 ½ shot works for you, keep shooting it. Personally, I like a load of larger, extra hard shot at moderate velocity.

I shoot two shells. At up to 35 yards behind the house, I use a Remington STS light handicap in 7 ½. My backup and/or long range load is 1 ¼ oz of 6’s at 1220 fps.

We sometimes get to 60 yards behind the house and may be laterally on a different trap field from the house where the targets are thrown.

Almost every shooter has his own pet load and nobody breaks every target.

On some of the longer shoots, a jackpot builds up until someone breaks all three or all five targets in a three long or five long.

If you reload, my advice is to stay with published loads.

12. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Federal paper hull, 25 grains 800 x , federal primer ,winchester or claybuster yellow 1 1/4 wad , 1 1/4 no. 5 shot . low recoil and plenty fast enough

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

This is what I reccomend. watch the fellow who seems to break more then his fair share of long birds and ask him what he does. The chances are that you may be suprised.BufferBob of trapshooters.com lives here in oregon and I have seen him shoot on sevral occasions. Bob is one of those fellows who breaks more then his share of the long birds. I was suprised to find out that bob uses just 28 thousandths of choke. Bob also told me that he believes that most people are overchoked. As for distance I shoot 1 1/4 of copper 6's at 1220. the standard live bird load with bigger, and harder shot. I am a believer in bigger shot for the long birds and many good shoters like number 5 shot. Jeff

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

1-1/2 ounce of copper 5s, Fed.case/primer, red AA wad on top of HS-7. Great medicine for wild flushing corn field pheasants too! Breaks clays as far out as you can seeum. Hap

15. frank t

frank t TS Member

I like a winchester hull with 30 grains of WSF powder with a Blue Duster or AA wad. Gives me 1400 FPS and breaks targets with 7 1/2 shot. Faster burning and less noisy than Longshot.

Frank T

16. joshif

joshif TS Member

I broke a target with a 2 3/4 dr 1 1/8 oz. #9 from 45 yd from the back of the house once. We were shooting the best out of 5 and I had 4 Big shells and this #9. Thats all the shells I had as I shot everything I brought that night. I broke 2 out of 4 with the big shell( 3 1/4 -1 1/4 -#6 )and broke the 3rd with the #9. No explosive break like the big shell but 4 or 5 chunks. If you had a computer shoot the gun it would break them at 90%+ reliability with 3 dr 7 1/2 and full choke in my book.Been doing this for 37 yrs and nobody will convince me otherwise.Seen it,done it, got beat doing it.Won some too.The big shot lets you get a little sloppy and still chip a target, small shot=you have to be in the center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.