1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long yardage shooters vs. short yardage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    First of all, I have never been a good trapshooter, as the furthest back that I ever could get to in handicap was 25 1/2 yards. Over the years with age, medical problems, I accepted yardage reductions until I got to the 20 yard line.

Fellow shooters who knew that I was once on the 25 yard line often said I should be cleaning up on the 20 yard line along with the other sandbaggers.

Truth be told, when I was on the 25 yard line, I felt that short yardage shooters were sandbaggers especially if they did well in a handicap event. Records show that I did better shooting from the 25 than the 20 as I have no real reason for that.

This may be hard to believe but I found that you run into the same problems moving back in yardage, as moving forward. You have to relearn how to shoot the different yardages moving either way.

I have two questions, what do long yardage shooters really think of short yardage shooters when they do win handicap events, and have any of you had the same problem having trouble adjusting to different yardages when taking a yardage reduction?

Steve Balistreri

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yeah, any yardage below 24 seems like long Singles and I average near the same!!

3. senior smoke

Oleolliedawg:
    My singles average is probably worse than your handicap average. I miss the days that I could break a respectable score in singles or handicap.
    Steve

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Maybe not senior smoke, my Handicap average is just over 91%. I failed sandbagging and lasted exactly 200 targets at the 24 yd. line!!

5. roberthardy1

roberthardy1 TS Member

Look at who takes most of the money home from all the big shoots That should anser your question Look at the Grand American

6. senior smoke

I have not shot ATA tournaments in awhile. Is the 20 yard line still the minimum yardage for an adult male, what about a veteran?
    Steve

7. johnlhelm

johnlhelm Member

I'm in my mid 60s and have been shooting trap for about 4 years. I've made it back to the 22 yd line and I guess I'm still enamored with the idea of shooting from 25 or more yds. Last year I was at a shoot and had a really good day, I shot a 98 at the 21 yd line, I've never even shot 98 from the 16 yd line so now I'm at 22 yds. Was I sandbagging? I don't think so!!! I don't care if I ever win a shoot but I do want to work my way back a couple more yards and to do that I'm gonna have to get lucky and have a couple more good days. Hopefully that will happen and if it does I hope the guys/girls that are already back there will be ok with me joining them. John Helm

8. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I was at the 18 yard line at the beginning of this year. I shot ok scores there but finally shot a 97 from it and moved back to the 19. I found it no different shooting there from the 16 once I was taught to just shoot them how I would at the 16. My goal has always been the 27-I never play options. Shot penalty 25 at the grand and shot a 98, which is my highest score in handicap ever. I'm at the 26.5 now and my goal is still the 27. I didn't know what a sandbagger was until Iwas jokingly called one when I shot my 97. So not everyone at the short yardages are sandbaggers. I honestly thought that everyone's goal was the same as mine and John's.

Not gonna lie though- It's cooler watching people further back break awesome scores. But good scores are good scores no matter what. Breaking 98s, 99s, and 100s at the 16 yard line is impressive so why does it suddenly change in handicap when it comes from someone at the short yardages?

9. senior smoke

T.A.K.:
    Now that's some good shooting. I hope you can keep it up.
    Steve

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The difference between a short yardage shooter and a 27 yarder winning, is the short yardage shooter has to move back, 27 yarder never does. Open up the 35 yard line.

GneJ

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

'what do long yardage shooters really think of short yardage shooters when they do win handicap events?'

I think good on em'! And I also remember how good I felt posting good scores from the short and mid yardages. Also keep in mind these people winning from short or mid yardages are working their way back and sooner or later you will compete on an even field with them. This is a good time to give them a well intentioned handshake and congradulations.

I also enjoy the less frequent times when it is me in the winner's circle having posted the top score from long yardage.

12. senior smoke

Wolfram:
    Now that's a good attitude to have as I wish more shooters thought that same way. All to often when a short yardage shooter wins at handicap they are often unjustly labeled as a sandbagger.
    Steve

13. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

My first year, I went from the 20 to the 22 in a matter of three weeks. Then I struggled for 2 years at the 22, Then somehow in a wind and rain storm this spring made it to the 23 with a score of 86. I have since just fought it at the 23. I want to earn another yard so bad yet the trap gods just will not look my way. About two months ago. I would have three good traps and then tank a trap. Might be the last trap might be the first trap, but I would just absolutely tank one somewhere. Last month or so I have not even been able to put together a few good traps. I too want to get to the "Fence", every now and then I will put together a good score. But seems like when I do, someone else does too and beats me by a target or two. Am I sand bagging no damn way. With any luck someday I will get there. Or at least I hope that I can make it back there.

Jim Bradbury

14. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

In the circles I travel in the vast majority of the back fence shooters are very quick to congratulate we middle to short yardage types when we "do good"--just as wolfram states.

That's the way it should be. I always gravitate toward positive, happy, social people and avoid the rest.

We are lucky to have a great traveling fraternity of peers that go to all the same shoots all over the mid-Atlantic region and beyond. We celebrate each other's victories and lament the losses--back fence, Trip-A or D Class, 19 yd line, new or old--it just doesn't matter.

Guy Babin

Fortunate in Maryland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.