1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long yardage hdcp - 7 1/2 vs 8 POI difference?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsikole, Aug 30, 2013.

1. rsikole

rsikole Member

Does anyone have any data or results of studies regarding POI difference for 7 1/2 vs 8 shot at long yardage handicap ranges?

8 shot will slow down at a faster rate than 7 1/2 shot and therefore drop more (vertically). The question is how much does this change the POI at say.....40 - 45 yards from the muzzle for 7 1/2 vs 8 shot? Is it significant?

I'm looking mainly for lead shot speed data as opposed to personal experiences and thoughts. Muzzle velocities of 1200 fps - 1250 fps are of the most interest to me.

Thanks,

Rob

2. rsikole

rsikole Member

Mike,

I've heard quite a few opinions, including yours, from different shooters. The Federal rep who won the GAH a couple years ago (I believe with 100 straight) did it from the 27 yard line light 8's, so I have no doubt that 8 shot has the energy to do the job.

I have also heard from a pretty reliable source that the difference in POI between 8 and 7 1/2 at long yardage is a full pattern. That is significant.

There are lots of opinions out there....and that is why I asked for data or the results of any studies.

Thanks,

Rob

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rob, You're Thinking To Much. Stop!!! Just Shoot. No need to worry about shot falling until 90 plus yards or so. Don't worry about inches, when a target is missed by feet!!! Look at target and watch it break, that's all. Remember have fun. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

4. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Rob, you know what size shot to use from long range. Don't have any data, but I know you know which size to use. Your friend !!! Glenn Allison

5. rsikole

rsikole Member

Again....looking for data and not opinions.

Thanks,

Rob

6. rsikole

rsikole Member

Glenn,

I have been stuck on the 25 yard line for quite some time (as you know). I may start shooting only 7 1/2 shot from long yardage since it seems to give me more consistent results. Right now....it is pretty much "in my head" that 7 1/2 seem to be work better for me at long yardage ....or maybe I need an extra washer if I shoot 8's and get the same POI?

I am sure someone has some data. Possibly Neil Winston.

How have you and Doug and Grant been? Still tearing them up at Mt. Blanchard?

Rob

7. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

This information was obtained from Shotgun Sports magazine many years ago.

Hope it helps. BT100dc
    bt100dc_2008_07113.jpg

8. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Here you go. Straight from the horse.

Don T

9. rsikole

rsikole Member

Great!

Thanks BT100dc! This would suggest the POI difference is insignificant.

Rob

10. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

I know what you are saying, experimenting is great, I've been doing it for a long time. After a couple of conversations ( pm's ) with Matt's guru I started
    thinking different. Focusing on the basics and what I know works. Doug and Grant are doing ok. Grant has picked up a sidekick, it happens to the best of us. Hope all is well with you. Glenn

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The shot size does not actually make much difference between 7.5s and 8s at normal 27 yards, but wind will play a factor on the #8s, 7.5s will drift the same as the target, Quoted to me by Herb Orre.

The 8s will have more pellets on the target.

But I personally lean to 7.5s at all handicaps.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

At a muzzle velocity of 1200fps,

#7.5 shot drops 10.9" at 60 yards

#8 shot drops 11.3" at 60 yards

Shot drop and POI change ...less than 1/2" at 60 yds....is negligible and undetectable by this shooter.

The energy difference at 60 yds favors the #7.5 by about 20%. Will #8 break the target at 60 yds? Obviously, yes. So why not use #8?

Well, try this; every time you finish a round with a shooter who "dusted" a target and took a zero for it, ask them what size shot they were using and make a note of it. Didn't take me long to learn that #8's dust targets...from the 16yd line....far more often than #7.5.

Those are the facts as I know them. Form your own opinion.

13. rsikole

rsikole Member

Glenn,

All is well down here. It's going to be a hot one this weekend though.

Glad to hear all is well with Doug and Grant. Did you guys make it to the Cardinal Classic? I was there later in the week, but I didn't see you.

Rob

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

At 40 yds. the velocity of a 7 1/2 2 3/4 load will almost equal a 3 dram of 8's. if it matters? BT100dc

15. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Don't they have good TV shows to watch in Tennessee? 7-1/2 vs 8's, really Rob? If I didn't know better I would swear you must be an engineer! Wait a minute.....that's right you ARE an engineer! BTW, when we shoot at Middletown I strongly recommend neither 7-1/2 or 8's. Them upside down 9's do a great job! Stop by the camper at MSC for a cold one and until then just stop thinking and keep your head on the stock.

DuckDog

16. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Listen to duck dog, he sounds like Matt's guru. Yes we made the classic for only two days. Glenn

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Longshot has it right. wind drift will matter more.

OK, OK. o I was wrong. So what is all the hype about lead drift when when we do POIs on th pattern board? Eh?

18. rsikole

rsikole Member

I guess they have some TV shows here, but I am busy learning the target management strategies the guys up North will be showing me tomorrow.

And yea...head on the stock is always a good idea! I'll stop by at Middletown for sure. And Bullwinkles of course!

I may also try shooting some doubles there...so if you hear what sounds like the fastest doubles shooter around...it may be me fighting with that double release!

See you soon.
    Rob

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Rob not trying to be a SA but take your gun and shells to the patterning board and see what the difference is. If you don't have a patterning board use the side of your neighbors house.

Don

20. rsikole

rsikole Member

Hi Don,

I should have used the patterning board a long time ago when I bought this Perazzi from Jack. But.....I am not convinced 7 1/2 vs 8 should matter.

Do you ever go to Middletown? You should come down if you are free that weekend.

Rob