1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long time shooters quitting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rustygun, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustygun

rustygun Member

I am just curious, at the club I shoot at, some long time shooters have stopped, or really cut back on their shooting. I know it's not a problem with the club,still members, willing to help, but just don't shoot much. (Registered, or non.)

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Or they're just burned out and looking for something that offers more fun for the time (and money).

But failing that...let's blame it on the 2-hole target.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe they are spending their free time on the computer. HMB

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Think its a a little of everything that's posted above. Age,health, interests wane or change, etc, etc, etc. Plus, to put it bluntly, the entire world just plain sucks right now and that sure doesn't do much to keep the spirits or finances up. I have several friends that are doing fine financially, but are in the "hunkered down" mode. Like all of us are to some degree.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Yes health , age and economy have the biggest part in a slow down , but maybe some have done all there was to get done and now they want to lay back still be a part of the shooting world and come by and shoot the breeze with the other old timers . Most have given a lot to their respective clubs and now should be the newcomers chance to fill in the gap . My time is just about there too !!!!

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Discretionary income (or lack thereof), to use a $4 word.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Escalating cost is probably one of the biggest reasons, aches and pains probably are a part of it also ... The mind tells you to keep on keeping on but the body won't co-operate at some point in time or makes you pay if you do ... If most people would of known they were going to live as long as they have they probably would of taken better care of themself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

I know at my club things have really changed over the years, we used to have nice dinners every other Wed. and we used to have fun shoots!! But all that has changed. I think old timers are just finding other things to do.

9. bogart50

bogart50 TS Member

WOW, alot of these remarks sure sound familiar!! Wes

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My little club in Athens Ohio on Thursday nights, shooters bring in food, Chili, Potatoe Soup, Ham and Beans, chip dip and chips, one shoother brings in 2 dozen donuts every thursday, club has free coffee, and one shooter brings in bread and ham salad. We have a very friendly club and Sunday they are having a draw sporting clays program, where they draw buddies for combined scores.

Sporting clays is a very strong and growing sport.

I talked to one supplier whose target sales are always on the rise and it is at Sporting Clays Courses not trap courses.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Don`t go blaming the old people for not having fun shoots or club feasts . They like to eat too !!!! The older shooters and members have given most of their life to shooting and keeping the club functioning smoothly . I find some of the younger people want to have it that way and just join in with the fun without giving what is expected of them . I have seen this over the last 30 years .

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I save my time, money and shells for big shoots. No more winter birds or practice, just a little warm up in the spring then ATA only.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The exodus of shooters to sporting clays includes many of the older shooters as well - for a reason people don't consider: it's less strenous.
    From the time the shooter arrives at the course, and transfers his guns and shells onto his electric (or gas) cart, he only has to get off his a__s 12 or 13 times to shoot 4 pair of doubles, and get back on to ride to the next station.

I shot at a zone shoot in Kentucky and was the only shooter I know of out of 300 entries that was walking.( and I'm a Senior Vet) Even the kids ride carts.
    That's one reason I've gone back to trap: the exercise.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The local club for me is Cottage Grove - Eugene in Orygun. The club, with the return of skeet and adding 5 stand and sporting, is doing quite well adding more members than ever during my time there; just 10 years or so. What we've seen is the long time, local registered trap shooters cooling their heels somewhere, not at other local clubs though, and even pseudo boycotting because the club had the audacity to add the new venues to "their" trap club. In the meanwhile membership is up including many new trapshooters who rarely register but enjoy practice and non-registered games/competition.. And, the action on the Sporting and 5 stand venues is bringing in more cash activity than ever seen by me before. I seem to see a pattern of moving to the "other" activities over registered trap and am not sure just why.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

15. primer

primer TS Member

Can't stand or walk for very long. The only thing I can do is talk to folk.

16. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

it seems to me, that when a guy is busy with life-job,family,volunteering in organizations(lil league ect), church --he'll find time to practice his hobby(s)--BUT-- when he finally gets the income peaked,job platued, kids out of college,looking at retirement and what appears to me, as having a very flexible schedule, he will go into a stall mode???--------here is a survey to run--HOW MANY PEOPLE REALLY FOLLOW THRU WITH THEIR "WISH TO DO'S", WHEN THEY RETIRE?--i really admire those who keep up with their hobbies later in life or who volunteer their time!!!! happy shooting-wally riebesell

17. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I think the bigger question is why aren't the 40 and 50 year olds showing back up at the club? Its understandable that the guys I enjoy shooting with slow and stop with age mostly due to medical reasons, but I'm 47 and I don't see many under 60 at the club.

18. acss

20yard-- many have families later in life now- as i did- our schedule for kids activities is a nightmare!!!!! and i have only one girl who isnt in everything!!--wives who work, more shared shared responsibilities, i have to go back to work on monday just to slow down--from week to week its a blurr!!!---- you take the average 47 yr old guy with a $1500 house payment,$500 pickup payment, vehicle insurance @ $150 / month,$600 family medical insurance,a kid with a car who is too busy to work due to sports activities---and whats left??????? i can name you dozens of families in our small town, who are in this rut--listen to dave ramsey's money talk show in the afternoon on radio--you'll want to cry, listening to the callins!

19. acss

now that i'm on a roll--here is a personal observation--when the younger guys gave checkbook control to their wife and now have to justify their spending & time,things changed!---never did i hear my father say-" we'll have to ask your mom first" and his generation, was during the trapshooting heyday (the 60's)!!!---i own a gunclub and hear guys say all the time-" i'll have to ask my wife what we have going on"?-- my closing comment-stepkids do not get shells provided near like your own ,its a fact!

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

All good observations above. The original thread was "Longtime Shooters Quitting." But the fact is, shooters have always gotten old, and had to scale back on their activity eventually. The real issue is that medium-time shooters are not filling their places.

The older set will probably not understand, but when the wife works too, and I'm not talking about a part-time job like the Bettys and Wilmas of 1973, but rather a job she spent $40 grand on a college education to get, she gains a level of say-so in family finances that the old guys would have never dreamed of. And if she's not a shooter, she doesn't want to spend half her weekend tagging along to weekend trap shoots, working in the kitchen and reading a book in the shade while her husband shoots, like the trap wives of 1973. In the "Obama Economy," some of those women are working 50 and 60 hours a week - and it's not just to pay junior's cell phone bill, either, as some of the cranky old pension-holders will claim. Unfortunately, many women today have become perfect citizens of the "consumer culture," and are simply not raised to have any "personal" hobbies. If you ask them what their hobbies are, many will say things like, "Shopping, working out, doing things with the family." In other words, not really hobbies at all, in the true sense. Viewed in that context, "male" type hobbies, things that are completely discretionary, which consist of "selfishly" spending time and money away from the family, appear antediluvian and outdated.

You factor the divorce rate into the above, and it's a problem for our trapshooting demographic. The comment about the stepkids not getting the shells, the "real" father being financially underwater, etc...it's all spot-on.

It's not 1973 anymore. And an old guy with a pension (which he could never have gotten in today's work environment) sitting back and saying "Families today need to scale back their standard of living" don't know what the hell they're talking about. Many already have scaled back. And things like divorce and the "Obama Economy" have involuntarily forced the downsizing on many. The days of a man working in the ball-bearing plant while his wife stays home and makes green-bean casseroles, while paying off a house, a car, and 2 college educations and still having money left over to shoot trap, are over. The ball-bearing plant is now in a place you can't pronounce, or commute to. And you can engage in all the Dave Ramsey Baptist austerity-catechizing you want, but it won't change anything.

In fact, I bet if you asked Dave Ramsey himself about $10,000 trapguns, or even $2,000 ones while you've got a car and house payment with interest on it, his reply would be, "you gotta be kidding me."

The communist President, after being handed his ass in a midterm election, tucks his ringed tail between his legs and jets away to Asia, where he proceeds to prattle about Asians (get this) "providing jobs" to Americans (snicker). We are going to inflate the US currency, to fill the oceans with US exports, which Asians will eagerly snap up, thereby providing Americans with non-government jobs. Uh huh. That midterm really put him in touch with economic reality, didn't it? (Guess we aren't talking about Green Jobs anymore). In the words of the erstwhile Ohio Democrat mob congressman Jimmy Traficante, "Beam me up, Scotty!"

Fill up the motor home, make those hotel reservations...it's on like Donkey Kong, ladies and gentlemen! It's MORNING IN AMERICA again, and we're all revved up to go buy trap guns (on credit, of course) in anticipation of these new Asian-provided non-government jobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

quitting long time club

quitting trap shooting