1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long shots

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff K, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

Shooting some side games at a tournment this past weekend one presentation was a 70 yd. crosser about 15 feet high.Never broke that bird . I though maybee two car lenghts lead and four foot under. yes the bird was already starting to drop. Some one thought the shot would drop 4 feet at that distance. Anyone out there who has constincy at that distance . I was using 1oz. 7 1/5 @ 1200 FPS

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

You shot too far ahead and low. 70 sounds like a long way but really is'nt if you think about it.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

It was a side game called, make a break and the field is 50 yd. wide and 70 yd. deep the crosser was a true 90degree crosser at the 70 yd flags. It was on report with the thrower fairly flat so not much time to catch it riseing. How much do you thing shot falls at that distance ?

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Jeff K,

If your target was a true 90 deg. at 70 yds, Target Speed at 29 mph, shell velocity of 1200 fps at 3 ft, the lead seen at the target would be 12 to 13.5 ft....

But with same conditions except target speed of 40 mph the seen lead would be 17 to 18.5 ft.... Hope this answers your question on lead.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

Pat yes It was make a break and it was the number 7 bird in rotation I had already broke the 1 bird and was attempting the 7 bird. The bird was very fast just looking for some ideas.

Jeff

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Talk to Wireguy or Mr. Crosby those guys hit 70 to 100 yard targets at an unbeleivable rate.But they are using a little more firepower.

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Lkn4rocks is correct. GOOD LUCK

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

For my information just what does a 15ft lead look like? Do you use barrel width to determine the lead?

10. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

grunt,

That same target moving at 40 mph but this time at only 60 yds, shot velocity still at 1200 fps measured 3 ft from the muzzle, has a lead of 14.5' to 15' as seen at the target, but only 3.93" as seen at the barrel.

Can you repetitively measure the lead to break the targets by the size of the target or do you relate to something like: how far it is between fence posts or to the overall length of a long bed crew cab pickup at that distance but how ever you chose to relate to lead it takes a smooth pull away / sustain lead to "repetitively" break crossing targets at this distance. If all you have is a swing through / come from behind, then you might as well save your shells.

11. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

I shot with wire & Mark C. you won't catch them using 7.5 that far 6'S or five and buffered too. Jon And probily 30 gn's 800x

12. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I had a friend send me a little e-mail program that shed some light on lead for me.Post your address and I'll send it to you. Hard for some to open.

I've sent it to a few people that are kind to others on here. GOOD LUCK

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

When Kruger could still count to 21 in the shower. That is a classic pat. Jeff

14. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

Many times you will actually be BELOW when missing the long targets. At 70 yards there will be pellet drop but you can break them with 1 oz of 7.5's. This is what FITASC is all about. The lead all depends on your move/gun speed but you are most likely below the target. Now try to find a place to practice (good luck)these long bombs. I must admit I'm 0-15 on 100 yard (Moore and Moore course) but was told that my 70-80 hold points were well below were the pellet drop requires the shot to be. The same goes for 50 yard vs 70 yard shots. Kick heiny next time.

15. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Shady Creek, I would be interested in what you have if you would be so kind.

16. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I'll send it now. It is an .exe file but it is a neat program. GOOD LUCK

17. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Let me know what you think. If you like it, spread it around. GOOD LUCK

18. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Thanks! That is pretty cool!

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

L4rs, you wrote:

"That same target moving at 40 mph but this time at only 60 yds, shot velocity still at 1200 fps measured 3 ft from the muzzle, has a lead of 14.5' to 15' as seen at the target, but only 3.93" as seen at the barrel."

And I don't understand that last part. Could you elaborate?

Neil

20. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Great Robert DeNiro impression Neil.

You talking to me?

You talking to me?

You....... talking to me?

You talking to ME?

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.