1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Shot Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pelopidas, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelopidas

Pelopidas TS Member

There seem to be very little written about Longshot being used for skeet loads in 20 ga. Any comments on Longshot especially at a power weight producing 1200-1250 fps?

2. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

It takes a lot of it, it's dirty, it's loud, and it's expensive. I like ProReach personally

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Longshot does not really lend it self to target loads. I used international by Hogdon and had good luck but with a 7/8 oz. load. Longshot is great for field and high vel. loads.

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

LongShot is great in the 28 gauge. 14.6 grains makes 1200 fps with only 8,900 psi. The felt recoil is comparable to SR7625 and it costs less.

The Hodgdon website shows the following load for the 20 gauge:

7/8 ounce of lead shot<br>
    18.2 grains of LongShot<br>
    Winchester 209 primer<br>
    Remington RXP20 wad<br>
    Remington STS hull<br>
    1250 fps and 9,100 psi

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

LongShot is the choice of Annie Oakly shooters. 28 grains with 1-1/4-1-1/2 or more of mag 6 shot. Kills on both ends.
    Clyde

6. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I like universal clays for my 20 gauge loads

7. darr

darr Well-Known Member

It works fine in the 20.I load it for skeet and faster hunting loads.It fits well and I didn't notice it being dirty.

Darr

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Killer on both ends? you have that one right!

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

It's the choice of those who have never patterned it. All noise and smoke with a lucky hit now and then. If you patterned it at 60 yards you would know it's a joke. Jeff

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jeff. I shot it for a while, then I realized it would not pattern in my gun but by then I was so dizzy from recoil I couldn't hit anything anyway

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Super X;
    I win annie's consistently with long shog & #6 mag. Breaks targets at 75 to 100 yards. Try it,you to can be a winner.
    Clyde

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Do you think it could have been named after someone?

Probably just a rumor.

Bob Falfa

13. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Go with ProReach. Takes less powder, kicks less, burns better, not as loud. I still don't like it as well as 800X, but idk if you can use 800X in 20ga. BYG

14. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Hogdon data center has a full page of 20 gauge longshot loads from 1250-1350

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

1oldtimer
    You are winning because you are a good shot. Not because of longshot powder. I have not seen a longshot load that I couldn't do better with 4 other powders. If you saw how much of that extra speed you retained at 75 to 100 yards you would know that it isn't the extra speed either.

I shoot long range alot. If it worked I would have many kegs of it.

You feel free too have faith in whatever you like but I can guarantee you your sucess isn't because of Longshot powder. It's because you are a good shot at distance. None of the loads present what you would call a "Good " load at from 75 to 100 yards. My 10ga with 5's might be somewhat better and my 8ga with 3 1/2oz of 4's might also be better but an 1 1/2 of 6's at 75 plus is a whole lot of luck.

You have to be a good enough shot to give yourself a chance at being lucky is how I explain it best.

You have to be able to put what is left of the pattern in the right spot. At 100 yards you have no pattern. Just pellets. Jeff

16. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I really don't care for Long Shot , however, my reasons are different. My buddy shoots Long Shot at 1250 fps in his 20 gauge using Remington RXP 20 wad with 7/8 oz. load. I am sick and tired of getting my arse kicked by a sub gauge using the light load. I would like for him to get his 12 gauge repaired, at least I can lose to a "man's gun". Regarding this load , he does seem to struggle with 50 to 60 yard edge targets. If you have some un-used LS, please mail it to me for final pattern analysis.

Charlie

17. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

There is a really good 1 oz. 800x load in 20 ga. Sp wad buffered 5s will reach out & touch things targets or pheasants. It's for a federal or estate case. Will not fit in a Remington or winchester case.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

There are many better 20 ga. powders out there to choose from. Longshot is a loud powder known for its recoil and best used for hunting. Universal Clays, 20/28, Unique are a couple of good ones. I base my 20 ga. loads after the powder I want for my 28 ga. loads, because its the 28 that's more of a challage. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

19. 3200-2- man

3200-2- man TS Member

Jeff , Wouldn't you say Herco would be a better powder for Anne's than
    Longshot ? From what I've seen at the range , it performs just as good with
    less noise ? Patterns seem to be just as good at longer ranges too ...But ,
    IMR 800 is right on it's tail .

Thanks 3200

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

800X and Herco both produce better patterns then longshot. There are very few powders that produce 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 loads that will not outperform Longshot. Longshot is a joke.

It may have better applications then the 12ga. Jeff

Herco, Blue Dot,800x,Green dot,540,4576,7625 just to name a few all produce better patterns with less noise and smoke.

Some guys will always believe that speed means everything when it means next to nothing.Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

game load for long shot powder

anyone shooting proreach powder

heaviest longshot powder load

how to get 1200 fps with hodgdon longshot powder

long shot 20 ga

longshot vs unique

proreach 20ga 1200

proreach vs longshot 12ga shotgunworld