1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

long runs, more mental or due to physical ability?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Are long runs in shooting competition attributed to a shooter's great mental part of his or her game, or just outstanding physical shooting ability? Some of the long runs in trap seem to be unbelievable. I once ask Vic Reinders if he attributed his great shooting accomplishments due to having great physical abilities? He told me that shooting was basically the one thing he did better than the average person. I feel that Vic was just being modest. He did say how ever that he felt shooting was 90% above the neck. What do you think, mental or physical? If your answer is mental, how does one accomplish this? If it is physical, are you just out of luck if you weren't born with this ability?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I would say it is both. I've seen some great shooters fall apart at the end of the day as if they ran into a wall. Stamina definitely plays a part in a long run of straight breaks or just a long run of consistent shooting. I would say your mental games plays as much of a part though.

3. James.c

James.c Member

what the longest run in shooting history

4. msmith

msmith Member

Michael Schmidt in 12ga. skeet went 2532 targets straight in 1997-99. I do not know for sure but my friend said he missed a single low 7. Mike

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

More mental

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Its kinda like Ted Williams hitting a pitched baseball. Great eyes,great reflexes, good physical condition can't hurt. The top shooters are gifted,then they improved. Clyde Doll

7. senior smoke

When I shoot and I have a nice run going, lets say, 50 to 60 targets, I will get nervous and it will not take much longer before I drop one or possibly two targets in a row. The shooters that can run hundreds of targets without a miss must have nerves of steel, or they are so much more physically gifted?
    Steve

8. senior smoke

Twinbirds:
    I will see if the library has that book.
    Steve

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Bio Rhythms and luck.

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Once you learned or have the ability to shoot pretty good, it becomes 90% mental.

11. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

I once drank 27 beers straight before I had to empty. I think it was more guts and a large set of kidneys that did it for me. Not alot of concentration. Just make your mind up.
    chris

12. JTEA

JTEA Member

If the gun don't fit, you just won't hit!

(Frank Little made the statement that most shooters guns didn't fit them properly)

JT

13. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I have to say it is mostly a mental thing. Advice that has worked for me for years is that they cannot throw a bird that I cannot break, knowing that the rest is up to me to break that bird and that is where that mental stuff takes over. For me, I have to empty my head completely before I walk out on the line. Then take each round one target at a time. All the best.

J.F.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

J.F.,

I think at that point it is all mental. If you are concetrating on the next target and that only, you should not be thinking about how tired you are, how many you have run, or how many you are going to run. My best runs have come when I am shooting and the round seems like it is over really fast. You look for another shell and they are gone. I just run em. Jon

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Mental #1, Physical (stamina) #2. I have always been more impressed by a shooter who misses a target early in an event, then runs the rest vs. the shooter who runs the first 90+ targets then misses in the last few. Stamina is certainly a factor...especially as you get older. Regards, Ed

16. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Senior Smoke - Lanny has a website, and sells CD's of his technique. They are excellent, and worth the price. He has also teamed up with Todd Bender.

17. senior smoke

Wolfman:
    thanks for the info.
    Steve

I remember someone years ago writing in a shooting magazine making this statement"why is it when I am at work all I think about is shooting, when I am shooting, all I think about is work"? If memory serves me correctly, it may have been Frank Kodl in Shotgun Sports who said that years ago.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.