1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long range trapshooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

We want to play a game at our club were the person that hits the most out of 5 targets at 80 to 100 yards wins a jackpot. how often have you seen people break these kind of targets? And what size shot would you use? Thanks

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Five in a row from that distance happens often enough at the club where I shoot. I would guess----about once a month. Most of us use 1 1/4oz of #6's at about 1300fps. One of the better factory loadings is the Nitro 27 Sporting.

3. mike b.

mike b. Member

It will last until they get tired giving the same winner their $$$.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Not entirely true Mike. There are any number of our local shooters that can/have broken the "long 5". I once had to split a $100 long five jackpot with 2 others the SAME DAY. That sort of thing doesnt happen too often. Breaking targets at that range with a shotgun has just about as much luck involved as it does skill. I have never patterned a shotgun at 100 yards, but have an idea of how large barn door it would take to nail the paper up on.

P.S. Better bring your A+ game to beat our own Foggy at this game!

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1 3/8 oz #4, 31 grns longshot

6. don q

don q TS Member

Does Fog use the "skunk grade" for long range stuff?

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

This is an easy one, Federal's P156 factory load in #4 shot. 4 dram, 1 1/2 #4 buffered, copper plated shot. They kick and they're not cheap, but they shoot better at long range than any shell I've ever shot. The buffering and the copper shot mean far fewer deformed pellets, which leads to better patterns. If you're shooting under lights you can also usually see the shot which can give you an idea of where you're shooting on misses.

8. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Make sure they buy the shells from your club or include the shells in the price to play the game but make sure they are from your club. This puts everyone one the same playing field. I would let the shells to be used be 7 1/2 shot, 1300 fps, 1 1/8 oz loads. Also throw the birds as crossers then you will separate the big dogs from the little dogs. At 80 to 90 yards this is a hard shot in sporting clays.

9. Mr. Professional

Mr. Professional TS Member

If your wanting to do this, I hope you reload.

I've got a nice setup, 23 or 24 grains of Herco, winchester red wad (1 1/4), 209A primer, and I use anything from #6, but im sure #4 would work better at 100 yards.

Set up a pattern board in your back yard and experiment with some loads and chokes. Maybe try BB size shot. You never know until you try!!!

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We used to shoot from 50 to 60 yards but it was always with new factory ammo, no custom made boomers ... 5 for a $5.00 and it was not always the same winners, paid for targets out of winnings at $.16 each ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. Trab

Trab TS Member

What is the average jackpot$$$$ ?

12. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

The Jackpot won't be alot, $5 to try 5 targets, $1 for the targets and $4 into the pot. Were going to do It at the start of the shoot so whoever wins will at least have their shooting expenses for the day paid for (hopefully). Were leaving what shells you use open so everyone will probably shoot something different. I was thinking of an xtra full with 1 1/8 oz of #4 but I wonder if #6 would be better?

13. jhoward

jhoward Member

What we used to do was $5 to shoot, $1 for targets, $3 in the pot, and $1 for the jackpot. If you break all 5 you get 1/2 the jackpot money.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I think these long range things are wonderful. I attribute it to helping me made the 27 in a little over a year.

I still enjoy these games.

I shoot Nitro 27's or Federal Paper Handicaps in 7½ shot. Some guys will use the International load and I probably would if I could get some.

Others use their home-brews, but some are so powerful, their pattern had to be ineffectively blown apart. Further, they are probably not practicing what they ought to be using in competition.

On some occasions I will refuse to shoot beside one of these gumballs because it hurts my ears with plugs, and it sure can't be good for their guns.

IMHO.

WW

15. al.brown

al.brown TS Member

We did a lot of long range shooting in the past at a local club every one lined up on the 27 and if you missed you were out. you can get very far back doing this. at about 80y I used 1 3/8 7's 31 gr longshot. at about 100y 1 3/8 6's 40 gr blue dot. to get that in a 2 3/4 hull use the aa red wad. in a fed gold metal or an active hull. we would step back 5y after each shot. the blue dot makes a loud boom with this load. hope this helps. al.brown

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There is a video on the internet showing George Digweed shooting 110 yard targets and breaking nearly all of them. He doesn't use any special loads either, just 3dram-1 1/8 ounce-7 1/2shot.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=digweed+sporting+clays&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#

17. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

1 3/8 oz #6, 36 grns of bluedot

18. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

At many ranges anything over the size of7 1/2 shot are dangerous to shoot, so Please be careful ???????

19. Trab

Trab TS Member

George Digweed uses Gamebore Ammo. exclusively. Link above.

20. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Its more the gun than the load.I posted about that. Check a 100yd pattern. you are looking at a 1in x 4in target. You are not going to "inkball" them I have a rem 10 and a win 97 that will do it with 1 1/4 oz no 6. the old Herters long range shot cup works the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to break long range trap targets

long distance trap shooting

long trap shoot
long yardage trap shooting
shooting trap at long distance
trap shooting long distance