1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long range trap load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bob31, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob31

bob31 TS Member

I have searched for a load for long range trap but couldnt find anything. Does anyone have a favorite load they would share?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What do you consider "Long Range"??

3. bob31

bob31 TS Member

45 plus yards

4. grntitan

Remington Nitro/STS hull, W209 primer, 1 1/8oz shot, RXP12 wad, 22gr Green Dot powder. Velocity about 1250fps and pressure about 9,400psi.---Matt

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

If you mean 45 yds muzzle to target a Super Handicap 7 1/2's will work. If you mean 45 yds behind the trap house here's one that's good 75 yds behind the traphouse; Estate hull (Top Gun, etc.), Cheddite 209 or WW209, 26 gr. Longshot, 1 3/8 oz. of 4's buffered (the buffer is a must to make it work).

Buz

6. bob31

bob31 TS Member

What do you use as buffer? Is is just mixed in with the shot?

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Long range? How about these guys who are breaking them at 100+ yards, what do they use?

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Look into WSF in the loading charts about 1350 fps with 1 1/8 of 6 will get you there without having to buffer the load. Not nearly as much fire out the end of the barrel as with long shot

Bob

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

RickN, they use 38 grains of keyboard with 6's and you knew that already.

Neil

10. grntitan

I think he basically means they are full of sh!t.---Matt

11. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

bob31, I use the plastic used for centrifugal molding, it is almost like dust. It is not mixed with the shot. After the shot is loaded, it goes on top and vibrated down. Caution, caution, caution, the pressure goes up in a hurry............GOOD LUCK

12. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

What Coffee Creek Shooter said. You can use an Activ hull with good results too, if you can find any.

John

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you're look for a 1 1/8oz load.. Remington hull.. Winchester primer.. DR Versalite wad.. 24.5 grains of Unique Hard #6's if you can.. if not 7.5's..As good or better than anything I've ever shot.. and soft shooter..

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mike (PBB) has it about right. Unique, DR Versalite, Rem hull, good primer, good hard shot. I haven't found much else that can beat it. It also doesn't beat your shoulder or your gun that much. There are a few combinations of that load that would have to be some of the best 1 1/8 oz loads I've ever used. I use the Winchester W209 or CCI209M primers. The CCI209M seems to do rather well in colder weather, although the Wincheter is no slouch either. Check your loading data and go for 1250 to 1310 fps as you prefer. Herco is a viable alternative, as are a host of other powders, but Unique is my "go-to". For heavier shot payloads, it would depend on what hull you plan on using. I like some of the larger tubes like the Federal Gold Medals. Wads and powder depend on the payload and speed.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've found Herco really comes to life with 1 1/4oz.. but I don't shoot that much lead for any sport.. If I can't crush it with 1 1/8 and .045 choke.. I always have the Bernardelli with .052.. Either I'll hit it.. or I'll miss it.. BUT either way.. I leave no doubt.. For me.. and I speak personally.. I'll take speed and hard shot with less recoil over 1/8oz more..and more recoil and slower lead..

I'm more than sure 1.5oz of hard lead would be more effective.. but with 3 bad disc in my neck.. I just can't go there..and I can't hit crap with slow shells.. My long range shooting starts to look good at 1250 fps.. and maxes out at about 1320.. Any faster.. the pattern seems to fall apart..at longer ranges and it beats me to death.. I loaded some great 1260's with 1 1/8oz of Longshot.. but the factory told me NOT to do it.. They know better than I.. and I listen well..

16. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

You don't need anything bigger than #7.5 launched at 1250 fps to break a clay at any range you can hit it. Put 2-3 #7.5 pellets on it at 100 yds....it will break. Digweed has demonstrated that numerous times. 70-yd breaks are not at all uncommon; doing it 3 times in a row is a bit less common. There's a lot of empty space in a perfectly pointed 70-yd pattern.

17. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I'll second the Unique 1 & 1/8 load at 1310fps but I like the federal paper hull!! Those plastic gold medals are junk,I had one blow apart and all I had left was the brass base.Fortunatly the plastic cleared the barrel.Others had it happen to them.The paper hull shoots softer.PJ

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Twinbirds, exactly. I'd like to see someone post some actual patterns from 100 yards. Most of us couldn't get the pattern to hit paper at that distance.

19. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

I tend to be a bit skeptical of "speed" at long range. At long range, differences between the times of flight of "fast" and "slow" loads tend to be pretty negligible and "speed" and dense patterns often do not go hand-in hand.

FWIW, Don Zuts's old load of a Remington 209P primer, a Remington RTL case, 19.0 to 19.5 grains of Green Dot, a Remington FIG-8 wad, and 1 1/8 ounces of hard 7 1/2 shot has been known to be very effective at long range because of the dense patterns that the load can throw through full chokes. This is a "cool" load, however, and it may need to be "hotted up" just a bit with either hotter primers and/or slightly higher powder charges for cold weather shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best long range trap load

long range trap loads

long range trap shooting