1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long range rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by YOTESLAYER, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I ordered a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in .243 today, I also ordered a Nikon 6-24X50 Monarch BDC scope for it. This scope has 30 MOA of internal adjustment. I want to shoot 1000 yards with this combo. My question is weather or not it would be beneficial to add a 20 MOA picatinny scope base on the gun to improve the range of ajustability? Is 20 MOA enough, to much??? Thanks for any help!

2. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Also can someone reccomend the best scope base and rings to use on a 1" tube scope. Ive looked at about 100 different ones and I hate to order something with out seeing it or hearing good things about them.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

This rig is not a 1000 yard gun. The wind will KILL this round. Where are you going to shoot it at this range, and what do you want it to do?

You have a nice 400+ yd varmint rig.

4. akhunterphil

akhunterphil TS Member

It will for sure take 20 extra minutes to get to 1000 yards. Probably even if you site in at 200 and start the dial there. your probably not going to want to go over that or the scope gets high to the point it will be uncomfortable or you'll need a raised cheek piece to prop your head on. The more you spend the better they get for the most part. Personally I'd stay away from steel, the are heavy and you don't need the strength with good quality sets. Badger rings are pricey but nice. I've got a couple long range shooters, they are a blast.

Phil in Aaska

5. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Why dont you think a .243 is a 1000 yard gun?? Ive shot 880yd with a .223. Im looking to ding a 30" steel plate at 1000 yards not set a group record of 1.5" at 1000. I shot regularly at 600 yards with my .223 with ballistic tip handloads and could easily shoot a fist sized group. 400 yards I was shooting a 2" group with the same rig.

6. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ok now I have the BDC scope so I only have to make up the difference as I can use the 600 BDC for my hold. Just a quick figuring in my head I would think 20 MOA would get me plenty including the internal adjustments. Atleast im hoping it will.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I concur. Sorry but true.

Now the good part. You can get the barrel reamed to 243 Ackley dimensions and get some stretch. The disadvantage is fireforming or purchasing brass.

If you REALLY want the thousand yard gun 6.5 mm bullets are the best. with the Savage you can put another barrel on if you are manually literate at all. You already have a fine platform in the LRP.

I would favor the 6.5 Creedmore. My friend has 2 243 Ackleys and just got a Creedmore last summer. Haven't got to air it out yet but it shoots good.

You have a BDC scope, so maybe the angled base isn't really that necessary.
    If you use the Burris signature rings with inserts you can cant the scope with the proper inserts, if necessary.

The link is for a good site with all the info you need.

HM

You will have to use the heaviest bullets your gun can stand, I do not know what twist you will have. I would start with 75 grains and use Reloder 15 to make them sizzle. Higher velocity will make up for not enough twist in some cases.

8. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I was looking at a 90 gr. (?) seirra bullet. What about a 6MM BR those guys are tossing a 90 gr bullet 3200 FPS and having success at 1000yd. I guess I didnt figure a .243 would be alot different. Thanks for all the input, ill check out that link.

9. ThomRogers

ThomRogers Member

Yoteslayer responded to you on the other thead and they are right on about 243 at 1000 drop wll scare you. 20 min base will help and if not to windy you can hit plates but wind drift is the most diffacult to read for all of us and 243 is going to be alot. You asked me about 6.5 x 284 thats a whole leaque of its own the 243 does not come close to even when you stand them beside each other they do'nt seem that different but it stops there. The 6.5 bullet is the biggest dif, but it is fun to hit plates that out. Also recoil may be less than 243 as I have both, Thanks Thom.

10. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I also wanted to stick with a standard round and not a wildcat, just for the reason of brass, plus we have all of the reloading equipment for .243. Like I said Im not looking to shoot 1.5" groups at 1000 just wanting to make a ding on steel.

11. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

yeah I think I checked the drop on a 70 gr Nosler and it was in the neighborhood of 250" at 1000. with 100" of drift with a 10mph cross wind. I like a challenge. I think I will try to crank the speed back up around 3900fps. i was throwing a 55gr bullet 4000fps and they were awesome out to 400. Never really tried them any farther then that.

12. 100straight

100straight Member

6mm does best in the calm. For those that say the 6.5 is better, they are right if it's windy, but bigger bores do better in the wind all the way up to the 50. 6s are fun to play with and can be very accurate.

13. ThomRogers

ThomRogers Member

The fun is what its all about and when you do hit that plate at 1000yds you will be whupen and hollen just I did. Also 6.5 creedmore and 284 are factory guns and ammo now as I have them both in savage, they are amazing accuate cal.yours should be also. Thanks Thom

14. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Thanks for all the input, It will be fun to tinker with.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Graf's & Sons carries both 6mm BR and 6.5 Creedmoor brass. At least they do under normal conditions. The crazy buying that's been going on lately is far from normal and has virtually everything wiped out. I was just glad I had bought small rifle and both small and large pistol primers before the crazy crap started. You can't hardly find any centerfire metallic supplies right now.

16. ThomRogers

ThomRogers Member

100 straight check bal. on 6.5 x 284 120gr and 140gr to 300 win mag with 200gr smk which has been the bullet at 1000 yds and see for your self 284 edges it out in both wind drift and drop at 1000 and 1300yds just barely and you can shoot it all day as recoil nothing compared to 300. Thanks Tho

17. 100straight

100straight Member

I shoot a 6mm/06 Ackley, but if I get a new 6mm I want to try a 243 WSSM. My 30 is a 300 WSM with 210gr berger VLDs. Same load that Matt Kline used for the 1000 yard world record in 2010.

18. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I'm not 100pct sure ,but I think the 7mm round/.276 was found to be the best in the post ww2 NATO trials,at Bisley range, overall,and it was Gen MacArthur who insisted upon a .30 cal projectile?
    Carlos Hathcock used 300 win,mag to win the Palma match in the early sixties,and did his work with a .308 later on..
    External/Internal ballistics has been done,greenhill formula etc..
    If you want to play,set up a microphone on your steel plate and try to hit it with a 22lr.

19. jls7522

jls7522 Member

A fast twist 243 would work....those lighter pills won't yield consistent results. Read here.... http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

20. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My .243 is a wildcat based on the .264 Win. Mag. case....75gr. bullets @4000fps. It's built on a Tikka 685 magnum action, 26" stainless bbl, 1 in 13" twist. I agree, at 1000 yards the breeze around here would kill accuracy...but at 500...well, the bullet gets there really quick. It will shoot 3/8" groups @100 yds.

Ron Burr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many moa do i need to shoot 1000 yd with 300wsm with 210 gr bullet

john hoover long range shooting

long range rifle shooters forum

rifle shooters forum

savage vlp 243 for long range shooting

whether to use 20 moa base for 6mm ackley 200 yard zero