1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Long progressive etiquete/safety question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BD457, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BD457

BD457 Member

Lately I've been shooting long progressives just for fun and I'm shooting with a group that shoots a lot and is very safe.

Here's my question:

after shooting at .... say.....21 yards, some of the shooters step back to the 23 yard line before the rest of the squad has finished their 21 yard shot. I know their gun is unloaded and they are only moving back 2 yards, but it just rubs me wrong that there's a gun behind me. I know these guys aren't going to put a shell in the chamber or close their gun until it's their turn to shoot.

The problems I see with them stepping back are:

A) There's a gun behind the live firing line.
    B) Others who may not be as safety conscious might form the same habit.
    C) The movement could be seen by other shooters on the line as a distraction.

I was taught that you move on a firing line as a group.

Should I bring this up to the RSO or my friends or just let it go?

Mike
  2. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Why not talk to the squad about it? If they know it bugs you they will probably change their ways and never give it a second thought.
  3. mbm5770

mbm5770 TS Member

really.................
  4. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Well-Known Member

Proper. Any member of the squad should stay put until the last man shoots. Pet peeve of mine. Mike.
  5. cnsane

cnsane TS Member

What will you do when you make it to the 25 yd line and you're squadded with the back fence.
  6. BD457

BD457 Member

cnsane: I have no problem with that for a couple reasons:

A) I'm not going to make it to the back fence because I rarely shoot ATA
    B) IIRC, there is a 1 yard seporation between stations and a 2 yard maximium.

This is more of a question of what's proper than anything else. I think procedure on a firing line should be standard and I really don't know what is standard for this situation. It doesn't bug me at all if people move on the line or do jumping jacks for that matter. I'm there to shoot and have fun. I'm shooting with my 11 year old so I want him to get the right conduct on the line rather than pick up bad habits. HE doesn't move until the squad has finished and is ready to move back. If the standard procedure is to shoot and then move, that's fine. I'm just wondering.

Mike
  7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

There's a 2 yard separation and 3 yard maximum, unless the squad includes 18, 19 or 20 yarders.
  8. cnsane

cnsane TS Member

I was addressing your safety concerns parts A & B, not your etiquette request. You stated an unloaded gun 2 yds behind you rubs you the wrong way. I'd hazard a guess that the vast majority of trapshooters feel differently than you for the reason I've given.
  9. BD457

BD457 Member

Well Okie Dokie then. Sounds like it's a non-issue. I'll just continue to have fun, bust a few birds and enjoy the time with man-cub.

Thanks for set'n me straight

Mike
  10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Here in Ohio we call it an international When starting the man on post one shoots then the guy on post 2 shoots, the guy on post one move back 2 yards, the guy on post 3 shoots and the guy on post 2 moves back 2 yards, it goes this way until you reach the 25 yard line, shooters move post one to post 2 post 5 to post one, now the guy on post 2 shoots, post 3 shoots, post 4 shoots, post 5 shoots, post one shoots, now everyone moves up 2 yards together.

That is the way we shoot and have been doing this for 40 years.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  11. BD457

BD457 Member

Thanks Gary,
    That makes perfect sense to me and I THINK that's ALMOST what they were doing. I'll pass that on to the RSO and the squad as a recomended method of movement. I still prefer the squad move as a group, but I see no harm in moving BACK after the station to your right has fired.

Mike
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.