1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Long Barrel S.O.S.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by in_sight, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in_sight

in_sight TS Member

Hey y'all,
    For 15 years I've shot one shotgun. It was my dads mossberg 500 12ga 18.5 inch barrel cylinder. I can shoot this POS gun almost with my eyes closed. Here, I bought an 28" double bead barrel (imp cyl) and GUESS WHAT???......I can't shoot jack!!! Wow, maybe came across 100 birds and shot 4? Went throught about 7 boxes. I was so embarrassed and disappointed. Wow, I mean really? Do I have to get used to my new situation? The beads are in good place and work. I can hit stationary targets pretty well @ 35 yards.

Here's what factors I think that needs some getting used to when birds pop out from nowhere and you have to shoot:
    1. New weight (that my body isn't used to)
    2. Quicker line-up is harder to achieve with long barrel.
    3. Slower follow through.
    4. Double bead? (this MIGHT change things?)

I mean even if it were the POS to go shotgun, it was a gun I can shoot 20-30 yards without having to completly aim.

Can anybody PLEASE help.....???

I mean, literally I shoot Double clays with the 18.5" pump for 15 yrs. Now, I shoot like as if I'm missing an arm with a 28". This is a national emergency here!

-Brandon

2. NealSS

NealSS Member

First off I would sand Bag each gun and shoot at a card target at 30 yards to get an idea of point of impact for your old gun and then the new one . That give you a heads up on what the aiming difference of the two guns. Just for thoughts. If you do this this let me know your results . Oh yea when shooting the two at paper be sure and use same loads, different shot sizes and speed change p.o.i. considerable. Hope to hear from you soon Neal. I do think this might help

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The old setup hit what you were looking at. The new set up you are aiming at the bird and shooting with a dead gun. You have to look at the bird, pull the trigger and keep the gun moving. HMB

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I'm with Neal on this one. With your experience, you should be able to pick up any gun and shoot at least decent with it. If you are shooting so poorly with this one, it really makes me think that the gun is not shooting where you think it is.

Tell us about what sight picture you used with the 500 and also the bead alignment. If you are stacking the beads on the new gun, could you simply be shooting over the targets now?

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Poster has similiar thread going on Shotgunworld. See link above. Mark

6. Oregunner

Poster has similiar thread going on Shotgunworld. See link above. Mark

7. in_sight

in_sight TS Member

Ok, give me the death penalty. I did post it on shotgunworld also. I don't know if that's breaking any rules to the trapshooters. If I did, forgive me.
    I cannot understand how a 10 inch upgrade on my barrel gives me shooting crap FROM great/fantastic.

I will pattern the gun if it really DOES tell me where I'm at. Let ME tell you the difference from shooting "stationary" to shooting a ramdonly jumping/fleeing target. It's completely different. I usually point the gun to where its at and pull trigger. Now with the long barrel, I think that I have to incorporate a follow through because I feel longer barrel means narrower chain pattern (dunno if I said that right). I really don't know what my problem is until I get a pro to tell me wth I'm doing wrong with randomly thrown clay targets...Anybody in SoCal willing to give me lessons for a price?

I never gotten class BTW. I usually learn by myself: on my own. Just like swimming. They used to throw me into the pool. All the other kids learned well in that fashion but I never did.

-Brandon

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

He also went from a cylinder bore to a an improved cylinder. That is a huge diffrence in choke an d 10 inches of barrel is a huge diffrence in a how a gun points. friend, you may as well be shooting a diffrent gun for the diffrence between the two barrels.

As far as the comment about it being on shotgunworld? I have no idea why that has anything to do with anything. The more points of view the better. Jeff

9. Oregunner

I read and try to give helpful responses on a number of forums. I won't respond to a thread if someone else has already given similar advice. I was just pointing out that he had already gotten a number of responses on another forum, and maybe it would save someone from typing out some advice that he had already gotten. On Shotgunworld, which has many subforum categories, it is bad form to post the same question on multiple subforums. Just trying to be helpful. No offense intended. Mark

10. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Brandon:Find a trap or skeet club near you,find the person in charge and ask them if there is anyone that could help you.There is always someone there who will pass there wisdom on to you,most likley wont cost you a cent,just for the round.Shooters for the most part will help each other out,just ask! Ray

11. in_sight

in_sight TS Member

Much thanks to all. I guess I have to start crushing a lot of clay for me to really get an idea.

I went to R&D barrels today and Bob told me that I can be surprised to choke constrictions looking at the patterns. Example: some chokes depending on the brand, can be tighter for the same choke. Some I/C chokes can pattern like a MOD.

So I DO have to start comparing my old barrels pattern to the 28" imp cyl. This just means I've always shot terrible. I just know it.

Just got to shoot several hundred rounds to shape things up.

Any good places in LA County area???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.