1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lone Survivor -Must read

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shannon391, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I just finished the Navy Seal Marcus Luttrells account of operation Redwing in the rugged Afghanistan mountains.

This is one of the most powerfully moving true accounts I have ever read. The amount of courage, and sacrifice under fire behind enemy lines is beyond comprehension.

A fiction writer could not have penned a more fierce combat story. He delivers the most powerfull narrative ever written about modern warfare.

2. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Yes, it is an excellent read. A couple of weeks ago 4 punks shot and killled his dog. Marcus chased them numerous miles, while talking to the 911 dispatcher. The 911 transcript is on the available on the internet somewhere. I heard it on the radio. At 115 MPH he's calm, cool, and collected. These punks were NOT getting away with killing his dog. At one point the dispatcher asks Marcus if he has a gun in his truck, to which he replies, I have 2 guns, a pair of Beretta Mod. 92's. If you can find the 911 tape, it's worth a listen to. The dog in question was part of Marcus re-hab after returning home. These punks picked on the wrong dog owner.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They should take those punks and make them train with the Seals during Hell week. then reguire them to study and read everything there is to know about the sacrifices our armed forces have made through history with full written reports.Then give them the choice prison with hard labor or military.

That could possibly save some lost souls, or not.

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

A great interview of the lone survivor on fox television, just hit website URL.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You are correct Shannon. It should be a must read for everyone who lives in this Country. After reading it, I ordered one for each house of my children for Christmas asking that they please read it, or hoping someone in their/our family would. I am sorry to say that none of them have read it yet. Reading between the lines in the book I became convinced that no one can win any war in Afghanistan (sp?). The life that they live in those mountains is beyond belief in these modern times. God Bless America and those that sacrifice so much for our freedoms. Bob

6. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I have had the honor of meeting Marcus a few times now and all I can say is that the man has a presence. As soon as he walks into a room, he owns it. He is very humble but very, very confident in himself and his abilities. A class act all the way and makes me proud to be an American. The amount of courage and patriotism in this man is amazing.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Krusher, It sure must have been some experience to meet him the first time. A great privilege. Bob

8. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I like shannon391 idea but with one twist. Leave them with the SEAL team as mentioned but just before leaving them tell the SEALs what they did & who they did it to. These punks wouldn't make it thru SEAL training anyway but might as well make it fun. JMO Colonel

9. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I read the entire book on Sunday, can honestly say I had tears in my eyes while reading it. It's a very vivid book and I in many ways feel very sorry Marcus survived. Dying with his friends would have been much easier than living with the memories of how his friends died. They say there is no glory in war and they are correct, Marcus survived and probably killed a lot of other people, but you can tell he would much rather have his friends than this story.
    His personal sacrifice for us will haunt him the rest of his life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.