1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Logan Taylor to buy a pickup

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

This kid sure can shoot

By Dennis Sherer - TimesDaily.com

Logan Taylor plans to use a portion of the $100,000 he won at a world championship shooting competition to buy a pickup.

There is one caveat to that, though. He’ll have to wait almost three years to drive the truck without adult supervision.

Taylor, 13, bested some of the top trap shooters in the world last weekend to win the $100,000 Grand American Challenge that was held Aug. 8-13 at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Illinois.

While some of his winnings will be used to buy the truck, the remainder will be used for college.

The Russellville teen said going against the top shooters in Amateur Trapshooting Association competitions was nerve-racking. The winner-take-all shootoff featured the winners of eight handicap American Trapshooting Association events held around the country, the high average shooter from the events and a contestant drawn at random. In trapshooting competitions, shooters are handicapped based on their ability. New shooters begin at the 19-yard line and move further from where the clay disc targets are released as their abilities improve. The most highly skilled competitors shoot from the 27-yard-line. Taylor shot from the 20-yard line in the championship event.

“I was so nervous when I started that I could barely put a shell in my shotgun,” Taylor said. “But once I broke the first target, I knew I was going to do all right.”

His father, Donald Taylor, said it was hard to tell who was the most excited after the Belgreen school eighth-grader won a world-class shooting event.

“We were both jumping up and down we were so excited,” Donald Taylor said. “I thought he would do good, but I have to admit I didn’t think he would win it all. He done good.”

The victory did not surprise the teen.

“I was very confident I would win,” he said. “I had been shooting good and just had a good feeling I would win.”

Tara Short, a spokeswoman for the Ohio-based Amateur Trapshooting Association, said Taylor’s victory thrilled shooters and fans.

“Everybody was excited for Logan,” she said. “With five of the 10 competitors in the $100,000 challenge 20 years old or younger, everyone thought the kids were going to do good, but not many people thought a 13-year-old would win. When Logan won, everybody was cheering. His win shows that trapshooting is a sport you don’t have to do all of your life to have a chance of winning big.”

Taylor began shooting trap when he was 5.

Short is hopeful Taylor’s victory will encourage other youths to become trap shooters.

Taylor is a member of the Cedar Hill Smokin’ Guns trap shooting team that practices at Cedar Hill Trap Range near Belgreen.

Taylor said his teammates are tremendous shooters.

The Cedar Hill junior squad, comprised of 15-18 year olds which includes Logan’s brother Jesse, won it’s class at the world championship and won the state tournament earlier this year. The sub-junior squad (12-14), won the state tournament. The sub-junior team 2, finished third at the state tournament.

The pre-sub-squad (11-under) finished second overall at the world championship and won the state tournament.

“We’ve got a great bunch of kids. They swept the state and won a lot at the Grand American,” said coach James King.

Wade Willingham, owner of Cedar Hill Trap Range, said northwest Alabama has a tradition of having some of the best trap shooters in the country.

“I’m not sure why the shooters in the area are so good, but they are,” Willingham said. “The hills around here are full of good shooters.”

The trap range is open to the public 3:30-8 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the summer months and 3:30-7 p.m. during the winter and noon-8 p.m. on Saturdays throughout the year. Directions and details are available online at cedarhilltraprange.com or by calling Willingham at 256-412-9287.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20110821/SPORTS01/110829984/-1/sports50?Title=This-kid-sure-can-shoot

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Great story & great shooting!! Nothing could be better for this sport.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If i had done that when i was 13, i would have blown every penny on toys. I had no desire to go to college after High School and didn't(bad decision). I'm just being honest. My mom and dad couldn't tell me sh!t when i was younger. I knew everything and did anything i wanted(against my parents will). Funny how my 17yr old acts oh so similar now. Wonder where he got that. LOL

Good for you Logan. Every young boy(me included) especially from the South dreams of that jacked up loud 4WD pick-up truck.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Gotta put a redneck juke box in it too. Have three years to sit out in the front yard jammin wif da "Swamp People" before he can drive it. "Shoot 'im Liz"

GneJ

5. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Have fun you reseerve it just MAKE SURE he will be OK on April 15th. Allen

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Let's hope it's not one from Government Motors.

But even if it is, God Bless the kid.

-Gary

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Wonderful story!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

logan taylor 100 000 winner