1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

log splitters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jake boy, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jake boy

jake boy Member

Looking for opinions on log splitters, needing to buy one for under $2000. Splitting 6 to 10 cords a year. Thanks, Robert

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You mean to make gun stocks, right?? I mean that's why you put this in the "Shooting Section"?

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Robert, My first priority would be a Briggs & Stratton engine. Next, buy one that easily converts from horizontal to vertical, and above all, how high from ground level is the wedge and platform the log sits on. I have a 20 year old, 20 ton "Brave" that I bought from Central Tractor for $999. Your $2000 budget will get you a nice splitter. Stay warm, and above all--be careful!. Splitters can be dangerous. Larry Evans

4. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jake

I have a Northern Tool 35ton Honda powered and a SpeeCo 25 ton Briggs&Stratton powered both horizontal/vertical both work very well.But I live in the northern Illinois and splitt Oak,Hickory,Ash and some times Elm. A 20 ton will do most any thing you need to do with less gas but not as fast as a larger unit.

Some of the big box stores have splitters that are powered by engines that are made in China,parts and repair?

Brave and Iron Oak make some very nice splitters also.

The SpeeCo is sold at Farm & Fleet and Tractor Supply sells Husky that is made by SpeeCo.

Good Luck, Have Fun

John G.

5. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Check out the DR spliter, a buddy got one and it's pretty nice and that thing is fast!

Cheers,

George

6. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Jake, how handy are you with the building and welding. I have built quite a few splitters and the one i am currently using is a 22 ton and it splits everything i can put in it. Obviously design plays in to this. You should be able to build what you want for your budgeted amount and have more splitter for your money that you will buy for that amount. Good luck, Tim

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Jake,

Use caution when operating these machines,they can be very dangerous......SMOKIT

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

Back when my boys played High School football I had all the wood splitters I needed---FREE!

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Free, I don't think so. You had to feed them horses, correct? Not to mention education, medical expenses, their sporting events, etc. LOL.

10. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Duerr 22 ton Briggs n Stratton engine vertical and horizontal cutting 45 acres of woodland hasn't let me down in 10 years

Doug

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

john g.

I would like to hear more about your Northern Tool 35 ton unit. I am considering purchasing one.

Jim Skeel<BR>P/W Dealer/Distributor

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt,

Are you the Mayor of Sparta or a Moderator now ..? Lighten up, somethings really don't matter ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim

The northern tool splitter was bought last January it has the Engine protection plate on it very heavy duty.A friend has had the same splitter for 5 years and the only complaint was the engine / gas tank could be damaged by wood stuck on ram in the return stroke. Northern Tool has added a protection plate of 1/4 inch steel to correct this. This improvement just came out this year so make shure you get it and not a older model.

The 4 way wedge works but I recomend splitting the big rounds first in quarters before using the 4 way. Cycle time is great and the Honda motor is the best,I did have to adjust the auto idle and now it works great.

Hope this helps,

John G.

Jim can you P.M. me your Phone # I have ? on a Ponsness.

14. jwells

jwells Member

do you have a tractor with hydraulics? i choose that type of splitter, you can get alot of splitter for alot less money when you dont need to but an engine. and another motor that needs serviced

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There are a number of things to look for. I have a MTD 25 ton splitter. It will lay down on the frame and stand up to split logs that are to heavy to lift.

The MTD is at a height so you can work without bending over. If you are bent over then your back will not last long. Get one that you work straight up.

The Northern Hydralic splitter is not that well made. It has a thin frame and isn't that well built.

Tractor Supply has one that isn't to bad and the ones that I have seen have been at a good height.

The wheels should be a good size to roll around. Not roller skate wheels.

On my splitter I made a table to stand on the other side of the splitter so to catch the other side of split wood and to hold logs to be split. It is worth building. I have improved my table three times and now have a heavy duty one.

I will list others as soon as I can. I will also try to get you some pic's of the table.

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

If you want to really split wood, you need one of these. I saw one in action and it really does work just like this video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bvpcxfErvLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Auctioneer

Here are some log splitters to look over

MTD
    Timberwolf. I will be buying a TW 2 HD when I get the money with a hyd lift.
    Built Rite
    Split right

I this year have or will split 21 cords this year. I have about 8 cord's to go to fill the last bay. Here are some pic's of the wood and table.

How I move the logs to the splitter
    auctioneer_2009_050727.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050728.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050729.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050730.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050731.jpg

18. highway

highway Member

That bobcat splitter is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. If you are tech. savy, could you tell me how to send that to a friend? When I click on share, the email box does not come up. Do I have to have an account with u-tube?

Thanks,

Roger

19. Auctioneer

Rickn, that is a log splitter. Question is how big of a log can it take.

The first pic is how I move wood to the splitter. That way I keep the wood at waist level. I then take the wood and place it on the table and roll it to the splitter. Works well.

Second pic: This years wood pile before going in the shed.

Third Pic: Old pic.

Forth Pic: Old pic of the shed. Each bay hold 7 cords.

Fifth pic: That is the table I was telling you about. Its worth building.

Next year I hope to only have to cut 7 cords and not 21 cords.

The reason I have that much wood is one bay is for this year 12-13. The second bay is for 13 to 14 and the last bay is fo 14 to 15. I will not have to worry about green wood in those htree years. If I get hurt or sick I have a min of 2 years to get well. There will always be wood in the shed.

20. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

highway, copy and paste this link to your email message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bvpcxfErvLQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12 hp vermeer log splitter
log splitter forum
timber champ splitter forum
vermeer ls 200
vermeer ls 200 log splitter

vermeer ls200

vermeer ls200 log splitter

vermeer ls200 log splitter tonnage