1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Log Homes......way off topic

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by midalake, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Ok I am thinking of doing a full scribe log home...Not cabin. Anyone living in one now? Anyone have pro's and con's to offer????? Thanks

GS

2. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I helped build one 30 years ago. Are the inside walls finished or cut? Check on running electrical wires, we had to drill each log to fish the wires through. If the logs are rough on the inside, you will have to cut them to install the kitchen cabinets and all of the other ones. After about 10 years the north facing outside walls started to rot because of snow and water accumulation. Ended up covering with cedar siding, which seemed to work. You may need to treat the logs EVERY year. Keeping everything square was difficult and we ended up pulling 12 inch spikes (about 100) out of logs to try to get everything to fit.
    Is there a basement? How will you run heating/ cooling ducts? Air conditioning?
    Are you going to build it yourself? Those large long logs are heavy!! You will need some strong guys to do it.
    There are a whole lot of questions to ask? Check it out carefully, ask questions
    I will try to write more tomorrow

3. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

be prepared, those logs require a lot of maintainence

4. greenlightning

greenlightning TS Member

Check out "everlogs.com". These guys do logs that look like wood but are made of concrete. They don't shrink, twist, rot, or require any maintenece. The logs are insulated between layers of concrete. It is amazing how realistic these logs look. It may not be for everyone, but it's worth looking into.

5. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

We toured Gastinau Log homes here in Missouri. While there we saw them treat their office which they were adding onto. They have a sealer that they spray on every two years to protect the wood. You could just barely tell the twenty year old construction from the new construction. We left for several hours and toured the owners home. When we came back I was impressed with the speed that the walls were going up. A couple of things though. They did not worry about square until the outside walls were all the way up. They then just pushed them into square. Secondly they said the outside walls would settle an inch the first year and be very stable after that. For that reason all interior walls were one inch shorter than the outside walls to make up for the settling. Hope this helps.

6. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

great to rent for a weekend in the spring or fall. but you couldn't give me one.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a log home built from southern white pine logs.

Must recoat stain every 5 years (requires renting a 4WD articulated lift).

Insulation value is on low side (we heat with woood so not a problem).

Had field mice invade the air space between the roof insulation and the roof sheeting. I took several months of poisoning to get rid of them. Consider installing poison bait diring construction.

Interior trim needs to be custom made. If you are not a woodworker it will cost a small fortune to have someone trim the inside. I purchased a planer and a jointer plus a lot of hand tools to do the job myself. You need a good source for rough cut lumber too.

The only really bad maintenance issue is carpenter bees!! If you can stand painted soffets and facia boards the bees will not be a problem. It seems that the bees cannot identify a painted board as wood (not true for stained boards).

All-in-all it was a very satisfying four year project.

Jim Skeel

8. DJM

DJM Member

Once the novelty wears off you will realize why 90 some % of all homes are dimension lumber framed. Log home construction, done right, is far more complicated than meets the eye.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

And very, very costly to build.

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a buddy that has one on the Lake of the Ozarks, one day he loves it, the next day he hates it ... I figure its a love/hate relationship with the log homes but they sure do look nice ... Not sure they would hold up in the desert with all of the termites ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

I built a Timberpeg Timberframe home in Cashiers, NC. I didn't go the log home way because I wanted everything to be square and straight. The cost of the materials and labor is significantly higher, the buyers and Realtors looking at the home don't realize how much more expensive it is to build.

Andy.

http://www.mywaterfallhome.com/

12. front242

front242 Member

Andy,

That is a beautiful house. Wow.

Tim
    F242

13. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Friends of ours bought a completed cedar home (albeit not a log home), but the situation trappermike described was right on. We found that over the years, if they wanted to make any changes in light switches, light placement, duplex plugs or plumbing, they really had their hands full. Just like in a real log cabin, the individual elements would shrink over time and require chinking. If you want a really finished look the chinking can look a little out of place. As an added issue with the cedar beam house, the light switches were often mounted sideways to deal with only impacting one beam.
    They couldn't look much prettier when built, but are very much like owning a wood boat (sail it for an hour, work on it for a week)
    d

14. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

midlake e-mail me seperately of this forum, I've been in a custom made white pine log home for over 12 years now and I will share with you the pros and cons being mostly PRO'S!

Al

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

a couple of my friends have built them and they always finish way over budget.

tony

16. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Thanks for the Everlog web-site. I am so excited. Wanted the look of a log home without all the maintenence. Kim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.